Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By HKNYC

anyone tried iglu properties

anyone tried iglu properties

they look like they have a pretty good variety of apartments for a 10-20k budget.

are they any good?

does the choice of housing agent matter much? i was told that all the agents have pretty much the same property listings. Is that right?

I haven't used them, but I did email to ask for more info about one of the properties on their site, which it would seem didn't exist.

Although it wasn't said the impression I got from the guy I was talking to when he realised I wasn't a rich gweilo looking for a gazillion dollar property, was that he had no interest in helping me.

If you have a small budget I'd stick with the more local agencies. A lot of them cover the same properties anyway.

I used Iglu to look at a few apartments.

IMHO:

1. They seemed to act more in the interests of the vendor, so the asking price was always higher than the average asking price of similar properties offered by other agents.

2. They showed me the worst properties first. i.e. near the road, low floor. Waste of time especially when I expressly told them before that I did not want to look at such properties. They ignored my request and said I should take a look. So I did and wasted my time.

3. When I called them to ask to view flats, they said that the way they work is I need to make an appointment and then based on my requirements they will schedule viewings. The next available slot was 2 weeks time. So I waited for 2 weeks.

4. After I decided not to use them, they kept sending me emails to chase me over the next few months to buy property with them.

5. Having used more than 10 agency companies and have viewed more than 50 flats, I prefer to use agents which are more party-neutral and asking prices are realistic. e.g. Midland, LJ Hooker.

6. Iglu is highly recommended for English-speaking expats who don't believe in shopping around and going from door to door.

Quote Originally Posted by annakerina
    does the choice of housing agent matter much? i was told that all the agents have pretty much the same property listings. Is that right?
    I recently looked for a place and some of the properties were indeed under several agents but I have also seen lot's of places that were only shown by one agent.
    You actually have to sign a form (well, subject to negotiation) that prevents you from getting the same place offered by a different agent, that is you can still see it but you can't sign the contract with another agent if you decide to rent it.

Best strategy for not signing the agreement is to leave your passport at your hotel and tell them you are only for a few days in town on a pre-visit and you will not rent immediately but want to get an idea about the places on offer.
    It depends very much on the agents though, some don't care, some can be convinced and some just insist. In general I found Midland to be the easiest to deal with while Centaline seems to be very strict.

And don't forget to negotiate the commission, or at least ask them to write "NEGO" on the form instead of "50%" and negoiate later when you actually want to rent via them. Rents are also negotiable, a 1000 less or so should be possible within the 10-20k range.

i tried them but it seems the properties does not exist and they never called me back, maybe my budget was too low...i dont know!

if you don't wanna sign the agreement you can just tell them in advance that you are not keen to do so. Most of them would probably still show you the property, i think. At lease i would. I work for Century 21. give me a shout if you need any help.

do they exsist

Impossible to send a message - the website has some great properties at good prices, but email account closed - message on the website don't send - pity I have gone elsewhere

Tried them just last week (for 5 days) as they have some properties which looked quite nice at reasonable prices. I was directed to a Jimmy whom gave me a call had me fill out a survey. I will be in HK in under 2 months and was hoping to take a look at some stuff and possibly put a deposit down if I saw what I liked.

Well, after filling out the survey and giving him an update on my budget which is a very decent budget, have not heard from him at all.

So I just started walking around the areas I wanted to be in. Walked into a local agency to inquire about the poster of a property they had and was shown to a gem of a place. Got quite lucky as they just received the flat and everything worked out where my lease will start the day I arrive.

Would recommend using Iglu as a reference point for potential flats. However service wise you are much better to walk in to an agency. Walk in with a canto speaking friend if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sghkcn
    I used Iglu to look at a few apartments.

IMHO:

1. They seemed to act more in the interests of the vendor, so the asking price was always higher than the average asking price of similar properties offered by other agents.

2. They showed me the worst properties first. i.e. near the road, low floor. Waste of time especially when I expressly told them before that I did not want to look at such properties. They ignored my request and said I should take a look. So I did and wasted my time.

3. When I called them to ask to view flats, they said that the way they work is I need to make an appointment and then based on my requirements they will schedule viewings. The next available slot was 2 weeks time. So I waited for 2 weeks.

4. After I decided not to use them, they kept sending me emails to chase me over the next few months to buy property with them.

5. Having used more than 10 agency companies and have viewed more than 50 flats, I prefer to use agents which are more party-neutral and asking prices are realistic. e.g. Midland, LJ Hooker.

6. Iglu is highly recommended for English-speaking expats who don't believe in shopping around and going from door to door.
    Eleven years has passed and not a thing has changed

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Eleven years has passed and not a thing has changed
    That's the way it has been for decades.