Apartment Blues-- doo bee doo

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Apartment Blues-- doo bee doo

Hi guys,

I'm moving to HK soon and am beginning to get worried about finding an apartment that suits my budget and is of the right size.

I've been going through online listings on Centaline, Qi-homes, Igluu, Geoexpat...etc. and the options look absolutely dismal!

Does my wishlist look unattainable for a 15K budget?
    -500-600 sqft (willing to compromise for less for a place with good efficiency)
    - decent bathroom (some of the pictures I've seen make me feel like wretching)
    - a place that allows me to get to my workplace within 20 min
    - a location with some old world charm 'character'
    - decent view for me to gaze into when I day dream

I don't need any clubhouse facilities or any fancy schmancy building. Something practical in terms of convenience will suffice.

And how do I start the search? Will any property agent do the job? any recommendations?

>> - a place that allows me to get to my workplace within 20 min

Which is?

i've been working with my agent for the past 3 months- prices are def. coming down...though not all landlords are open to it immediately, they def. are doing worse....

she mentioned that she did about 2/3's the rentals she did in the same time last year...

i've noticed prices have come down - 2 apts, same landlords- rented for 21k in august...agent calls me just this morning and said the 2nd one is being offered at 20k...meaning i can prob. get it for 19k.

as far as 15k range- it'd definately doable- but beware, when you said 5-600 sq ft...you probably need to look at advertisements with 700+ sqft...hkg has a system where they quote gross sqft vs. net...

yeah, 20 mins from work?

sorry, I mean Central. Admiralty is the nearest subway stop.

Quarry Bay is "20 minutes" from Central (the MTR takes 15 minutes from Quarry Bay to Central), and you can easily find a 500-600 sqft place there for $15k (you can find one for $10k even).

You probably need to define the location a bit better though, cause Hong Kong's quite small, so it's possible to get to most places on north HK Island within 30 minutes...

But yes, you shouldn't have any problem really. Bare in mind, when looking around with an agent, the first few properties they show you will be absolutely crap, tiny, and 50% overpriced. Endure their bullshit for awhile though, and you might be lucky to find a nice sized, nicely decorated place that's actually within your budget.

I was looking at apartments last month (just moved apartment a fortnight ago), and some of the first ones they showed me... eek! Some were about $5k more than the one we chose in the end, not to mention smaller and horribly decorated (all in the same general location).

Quote Originally Posted by annakerina:
    And how do I start the search? Will any property agent do the job? any recommendations?
    See all the agents in an area and keep track of which apartments you've seen. Take pictures and write in a notebook the details of the apartment, time you saw it, with whom, etc. See only 3-4 with one agent at a time and try not to sign an exclusivity contract with the agent.

General suggestions other than above: Western/Kennedy Town on HK Island, and places in Kowloon or the New Territories. You could get a place that size in Olympic or Tsing Yi, both of which are a short train ride on the Tung Chung line.

I would get on an MTR, go for about 10-15 minutes, get out at a stop and start walking around. If it feels right, look for signs for agents, walk in, ask if they have any properties around here and probably someone will rush over with some keys and take you about there and then. Plus all the other advice above. Get back on the MTR and repeat in the other direction..... until something gels.

yeah, she'll end up in Sham Shui Po.

Nice place that. Good shopping on Apliu

you probably be able to get a nice/new one in Olympic station.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast