Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Grey--

Real Estate Agents: Recommendations and Feedback

Closed Thread

Cool Real Estate Agents: Recommendations and Feedback

I'm hoping this can become a sticky. I wanted to post of a recent fantastic experience (seriously) with our agent. Ming Cheung at Sirva.

Our Ask:
    Dog friendly apt.
    Big enough for married couple
    Furnished
    Close to MTR
    ASAP
    Below 25k
    Result:
    We actually found the place on the first trip out, he didn't show us a million crappy places first either. He listened to the requirements and really put thought into the search. All of them would have worked and I felt like he valued our time as much as we did. My wife wanted to be certain of the neighborhood, cost, etc. So Ming obliged and showed us places on three more occasions, which also would have worked. He also did this in less than 4 days right before Christmas and right after an annual trip. I think it speaks volumes.
    TLDR:
    - Values your time
    - Shows you apartments that fit your criteria with no filler.
    - Very responsive and easy to communicate with
    - Negotiates well
    - Looking out for you
    - Follow up and follow through are very strong.

I'm not sure about posting someone's contact info on here so PM me if you'd like contact details. If I get indication it's alright, I'll post them.

ac_HK and z754103 like this.

Hi there! I have just started looking for a place and would love to be put in touch with a reliable agent, if you could send me the details that would be excellent. Thanks for posting!

Would really like the details

Location please.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey--:
    I think it speaks volumes.
    I'm sure your (and the landlord's) money spoke volumes as well! Honestly, a system in which these agents don't have much incentive to help keep the prices of rent down is an ill one. Of course it's nice to come across a competent one, but I hardly think the profession deserves that kind of praise. Perhaps you weren't paying the fee out of your own pocket this time, but one day you'll have to, and then you'll see your friend Ming in a whole different light...

I definitely paid the fee out of pocket, and I hardly think it's the agent's responsibility to drive prices down in the market. If there wasn't a market for these apartments, they wouldn't get rented. I'm not going to go down a political rabbit-hole on an internet forum.

I will however stand up for Ming's character, because one thing I didn't mention - bear with the anecdote here - is that once we found a place in the building we wanted, our initial offer was rejected outright by the landlord. We were a bit crestfallen, and to find us a comparable unit in the building, Ming went so far as to split commission with an agent from another company to get us in the building. I don't think that's common for anyone in real estate.

, Ming went so far as to split commission with an agent from another company to get us in the building. I don't think that's common for anyone in real estate.
    One of my estate agent friends was told by his boss that 50% of something was better than 100% of nothing. Since they also have revenue targets every little helps.

I definitely paid the fee out of pocket, and I hardly think it's the agent's responsibility to drive prices down in the market. If there wasn't a market for these apartments, they wouldn't get rented. ..... I don't think that's common for anyone in real estate.
    The problem is that they get paid one months rent as their commission, so they don't have much reason to help negotiate down with the landlord. It isn't healthy at all to have so many agencies scattered around neighborhoods like you get in HK, because they can make so much money with the high rent prices. I wouldn't expect them to "drive down" the market, but they can help not push it up! We've clearly seen the agent we were assigned to (by company transfer) kind of put her foot down at what she would even try to negotiate with the LL, because she wanted the higher commission.

It actually is very common for the agencies to work together. I was recently looking in Kennedy Town, and the agents often made appointments with other agents to show me different places.
    The things you describe aren't extraordinary. They want your business, and your money, and there's a lot of competition, so they put on this professional hat. I've had agents act this way with me too, so don't be fooled by a professional act. But like I said, for better or worse we all have to deal with them so it doesn't hurt to have a competent one.
    By the way, you don't say which area he serves. Agents are pretty limited to specific neighborhoods.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 18-01-2015 at 08:57 AM.