Like Tree47Likes

Where is the cheapest place to live?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Versi38:
    I chose to. I was thinking I was going to have to spend 5-6k on an apartment, then someone presented me with this and I took it. I'd rather have some minor annoyances and leave Hong Kong with an extra $20K at the end of the year. I've been here for 4 months and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I don't feel tired walking up because my body has adapted by now.

I think people learn to accept whatever is in front of them over time. I am perfectly happy in my apartment as most people are - except I have $3k extra left of my paycheck at the end of the month.

People pay $5-6K to live in one bedroom of a shared apartment (their private space being of similar size to my apartment), and have to wait for the bathroom, follow house rules etc. I have the same amount of private space but am totally independent for half the price - I just have to spend 5 extra minutes of my day walking up stairs.
    Four months? So you haven't experienced a spring or summer in Hong Kong yet? Or had to do the walk up with a cold/flu?

But it is only temporary...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Four months? So you haven't experienced a spring or summer in Hong Kong yet? Or had to do the walk up with a cold/flu?

But it is only temporary...
    I was here in a different apartment last summer... I am a little concerned about how gruelingly hot/humid it's going to be walking up those stairs come July, but I'll get used to that too, I guess. Lots of showers as soon as I get home...

I got a terrible cold from a trip to Beijing at Christmas, but honestly coughing up half of my bodily fluid and having a sore throat for 3 weeks straight was far worse than the stairs.

I chose to. I was thinking I was going to have to spend 5-6k on an apartment, then someone presented me with this and I took it. I'd rather have some minor annoyances and leave Hong Kong with an extra $20K at the end of the year. I've been here for 4 months and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I don't feel tired walking up because my body has adapted by now.

I think people learn to accept whatever is in front of them over time. I am perfectly happy in my apartment as most people are - except I have $3k extra left of my paycheck at the end of the month.

People pay $5-6K to live in one bedroom of a shared apartment (their private space being of similar size to my apartment), and have to wait for the bathroom, follow house rules etc. I have the same amount of private space but am totally independent for half the price - I just have to spend 5 extra minutes of my day walking up stairs.
    Fair enough, horses for courses. I'd work harder and earn more rather than make such a compromise in my accommodation, but that's just me.
    Versi38 likes this.

I got a terrible cold from a trip to Beijing at Christmas, but honestly coughing up half of my bodily fluid and having a sore throat for 3 weeks straight was far worse than the stairs.
    Ahh, but it's not an either-or, I suspect.

I was here in a different apartment last summer... I am a little concerned about how gruelingly hot/humid it's going to be walking up those stairs come July, but I'll get used to that too, I guess. Lots of showers as soon as I get home...

You have spring humidity to contend with first.

I've lived in a walk-up, only 6 stories though. It wasn't as bad as some but the mould on the staircase walks... And the endlessly wet stairs. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Fair enough, horses for courses. I'd work harder and earn more rather than make such a compromise in my accommodation, but that's just me.
    I'd do the hike up the stairs. I think the benefit of additional exercise is hugely undervalued. I did the 4th floor in universities days, as I recall the first week was annoying and after that it was perfectly normal. He's right: you adapt to anything. Here with the boat I have an unavoidable 500m hike down a jetty. It's not particularly onerous, but does mean that EVERYTHING has to be carried that last bit, with no cover, and in wet/windy/hot weather can be very exposed. I don't really notice it, except for the odd occasions when I'm really, really tired. Just think how much health benefits the HK population would get if lifts only went, for example, to every other / every third floor..... and everyone had to walk one (or two) floors!
    bookblogger likes this.

In Germany it's completely common to have to walk up... you just get completely used to it, and not only can you save money but you're also probably buying some extra lifetime!

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'd do the hike up the stairs. I think the benefit of additional exercise is hugely undervalued. I did the 4th floor in universities days, as I recall the first week was annoying and after that it was perfectly normal.
    There's a difference between a couple of flights of steps vs 10 stories (in HK's climate as well). With bags / groceries / luggage etc etc. I'd do it if I HAD to, but not out of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    There's a difference between a couple of flights of steps vs 10 stories (in HK's climate as well). With bags / groceries / luggage etc etc. I'd do it if I HAD to, but not out of choice.
    Plus those days with injuries. I'm okay most of the time, but occasionally old injuries have me using a walking stick. On those days, stairs are generally avoided or taken slowly one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy:
    My friend is thinking of moving to Hong Kong, and asked me where to find cheap places to live.. when I say cheap.. I wanna see cockroaches on the floor lol
    Since I haven't been living here that long, I'm not sure where to look.. but someone told me Shek Kip Mei, Prince Edward, Sham Shui Po area is like dirt cheap, around 3-4k per month excluding electric, any truth to this? Or anybody know of other cheap places under 4k per month?

thanks
    Outside of Hong Kong
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5