HK rental accommodation for young family

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile HK rental accommodation for young family

Hi,
    I'm looking to move to Hong Kong from Australia to study at Hong Kong University for about 3 years. I will be moving with my wife and infant. We have a tight (student) budget. Regarding rental accommodation, can anyone please tell me if there exists anywhere in Hong Kong (island or mainland) that ticks the following boxes?:
    1) $HK 10,000-15,000 / month;
    2) reasonable accommodation (i.e., pleasant/liveable but nothing flash);
    3) a safe area for a young family (i.e., not an area known for its crime);
    4) 2 or 3 bedrooms with own bathroom and kitchen;
    5) maximum of 45 mins travel time from accommodation to Hong Kong University (I will be using public transport - e.g. train).
    Am i dreaming, or does this kind of place exist??
    Thanks...

ok, first off... hk is one of the safest cities in the world, i believe. it is not known for it's crime. yes, the triads do exist, but you are unlikely in your everyday interactions to even realise that they are around (ie. most red minibuses are run by the triads, but unless someone told you, you wouldn't know that).

so, you do not have to worry about the "safeness" of neighbourhoods as they are almost all very safe.

for a budget of $10-15K, you might be a little hard-pressed to find something on hk island. however, they do exist. if you are looking for a flat, they will ALL have their own bathrooms and kitchens.

what i would suggest is looking around kennedy town. it is quite close to HKU and if you are looking at older buildings you shouldn't have any problem to find something in your budget. travel-wise, this would put you within 20 minutes of school.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    what i would suggest is looking around kennedy town. it is quite close to HKU and if you are looking at older buildings you shouldn't have any problem to find something in your budget. travel-wise, this would put you within 20 minutes of school.
    I definitely second Kennedy Town, given its proximity. You really wouldn't want to be too far away from your young family....

Smile

Thanks Carang and Shanghai38. I just looked on Google-maps for Kennedy Town... its location looks great - nice and close to HongKong Uni. I don't mind older buildings, as long as they are liveable and not run-down/decrepit. I'll definitely look into Kennedy Town. If HK$15K/mth is my absolute maximum, and I was looking closer to the HK$10K/mth mark, would Kennedy Town in your opinion still be possible for me if seeking 2 bedrooms? Thanks again.

for $15k, you have heaps of options.
    if you want to stay on the island side, kennedy town and wanchai are great. but there is also Aberdeen and Ap Lai Chow. You budget may also allow you to be in Chi Fu in Pok Fu lam. There are great apartments in Tai Hang, Cauesway Bay (next to the libarary), and almost anywhere to the east of causeway bay.

you can also consider the lower kowloon peninsula. TST, hunghom, jordan, YMT, Prince Edward. you'll only be 30 mins away from HKU if you go by bus thru the western tunnel.

If I were you, I'll go by the bus routes . Finding a place close to a direct bus to HKU will be the most convenient. THere are also mini buses too.

Smile

Thanks Lulumay for your reply. I had no idea that HK$15K/mth would give me so many options - especially on HK island itself! What about HK$10-12K/mth, would this still allow me to live in KennedyTown, Wan chai, and the other places you listed, given that i'm seeking a 2 bedroom accommodation?

i think you need to see it to understand. We had friends that lived in a 4 story walk-up right above the wan chai wet market. they had 90sm apartment for less than $10k. can you walk up with an infant and a stroller or do you need an elevator?

2 bedrooms here are not 2 bedrooms in OZ. you can get a 45sm 2 bedroom and a 200sm 2 bedroom. there are also the differences between kitchen and bathrooms. a typical hong kong kitchen is no aussie kitchen. Maybe you should consider the residence halls at HKU?

don't worry about crime. your standards are different to mine. there are a lot of great and cheap apartments on and along sands street but you have to hike up 40feet from the street level. good luck!!

You're right lulumay, i think i need to see it to understand. You mentioned HKU residence halls. I have looked at some of these on the HKU website but i was under the impression that the bathroom/kitchen are in many cases shared with other residents. Do you know anything about HKU residence halls?

We're just getting settled ourselves, so don't have years of experience to offer, but here's our 2 cents.
    We second the kennedy town and Aberdeen recommendations. Not typical "expat" areas, but not too far from HKU, and very reasonable prices.
    But, be prepared for a shock when you see a "two bedroom"- better to use square footage instead. the entire 500sq ft 2 br apartment that we stayed in our first month here was roughly the same size as my kitchen/breakfast area in our (very old,not that big) US house.

Good luck!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast