Like Tree20Likes

Moving from London to HK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    Where I live is the absolute best and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!
    Honestly.

TST and Jordan are interesting. Kowloon Station is not. Yet people who live in Jordan/TST are saying Kowloon is good because it is sort of near those areas. Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Honestly.

TST and Jordan are interesting. Kowloon Station is not. Yet people who live in Jordan/TST are saying Kowloon is good because it is sort of near those areas. Weird!
    you want to live in Jordan, beware so parts are red light district, though not as obvious as seedy parts of wan chai

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    And you can easily do both if you live there $22 in a taxi, $4 in a minibus or ten minutes on foot - mostly insides or covered walkways if it is raining.

It's Jordan by the way, not Jordon.
    At post #4 it was 5mn on foot, now it's 10mn, next is?

:-)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    At post #4 it was 5mn on foot, now it's 10mn, next is?

:-)
    Men exaggerating about the length of something...
    HK_Katherine, Mat and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Men exaggerating about the length of something...
    Hey I resemble that remark!

I live in Sai Ying Pun, and its a good mix of western and local feel. It's about a 35 min walk along the water to central and they will be opening a MTR station in about a month or two which will take you to central in 10 mins. Lots of western restaurants on High street and local joints on Queens Rd. I have seen a few organic shops popping up as well. Btw - Sai Ying Pun is between central and Kennedy town.

merchantms likes this.

OP:

My husband has relocated for work to Hong Kong and we're looking for a flat in a nice building for up to $45k. We need 2 bedrooms and would like a bit of a view and some storage.
    -> first of all, good news, that is doable, your expectations are not above market.

He's looked at a couple of shoe boxes in mid-levels and we're now thinking of casting the net a bit wider.
    -> that's a good idea

I've seen some nice looking places on the Internet in Kennedy Town and Kowloon but don't know anything about the neighbourhoods or the commute to Central.
    -> Kennedy town is close geogrpahycally BUT can be a bitch at peak hours. Kowloon is a "vast" place so really depends where. PS, the internet lies so please check when you get in HK, instead of on the internet.

would like to be somewhere within walking distance of restaurants, shops etc if possible.
    Any suggestions? Or opinions on Kennedy Town, Kowloon?
    -> Kennedy town is getting quite "big" on the restaurant scene these days so probably fit that crteria

Also Saw a couple of places in Repulse Bay
    -> your budget is a bit tight and not much to walk to

and Ap Lei Chau that looked nice. Is that really far from Central?
    -> nah dont bother with Ap Lei Chau really.

MY ADVICE:
    - get a one / two month service appartment in Central/Wanchai/CWB/KTown and explore HK.

It would seem that places you could like would be:
    KTown, some part of Wan Chai, Tin Hau, Tai Hang, Happy Valley, some part of North Point

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    O
    I've seen some nice looking places on the Internet in Kennedy Town and Kowloon but don't know anything about the neighbourhoods or the commute to Central.
    -> Kennedy town is close geogrpahycally BUT can be a bitch at peak hours.
    Even by MTR? I've been in KTown and HKU stations around evening rush hour and they weren't any worse than any other stops on the Island Line.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Even by MTR? I've been in KTown and HKU stations around evening rush hour and they weren't any worse than any other stops on the Island Line.
    the MTR is very new so things are better now there indeed. Wasnt the case a few months ago.
    but if you were to use buses/tram etc, traffic can be a bitch.

Re MTR - defo faster but you gottta like being close to each other (which should be fine on a short commute to central)

Check out Olympic station - one of the modern properties there - you will get LOADS more for your money.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast