Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By marshy104
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 2 Post By Mat

Areas to live in Kowloon

Areas to live in Kowloon

Hello All,

Currently coming up to the end of my leave in Hung Hom HabourFront Horizon, and as expected the 10% renewal increase has arrived so I've decided to move out.

I'm looking for an area with a reasonable commute to Kowloon station and central where me and my partner work. (ideally max commute 45mins)

• Budget: 15-20k (could push to 22k for perfect place)
    • 2 Bed
    • Size - ideally 700-1000sft
    • Block Style - newish built (5-10 years)

Would appreciate any advice on area's just on a MTR location point of view I've thought;

• Olympic
    • Nam Cheong,
    • Mei Foo,
    • Lai King

Thanks

Have just started to look around Olympic. Starting this process around CNY is not ideal.

The Long Beach would be my suggestion.
    Get a 2BR, 750 sf (gross) flat with a decent view, which also has a good layout

Mine has a high ceiling, and is very cheerful to live in

Last edited by OffThePeak; 20-02-2015 at 08:42 PM.

For less money and/or more space, look along the coast from Sham Tseng to Gold Coast. Direct bus to Kowloon station every 10 mins or so, takes about 45 mins from GC and 30 mins from Sham Tseng. (There are also resident buses from various developments, incl gold coast, to places like Olympic for faster transfers during peak hours).

Thanks all for your responses.

HK Katherine, thank you especially we never eve considered this area as I assumed transport would be an issue. We went to look at the area of Sham Tseng on the weekend and very much liked it!! I particular the Bellagio seems to have what we want but still trying to find a apartment with suitable size. We only really need a two bed but the room size 525sqft net is too small for us, so an upgrade to 3 bed might be needed but of course the price increase is significant.

ANYONE LIVING IN BELLAIO THAT COULD OFFER MORE ADVICE ON LIVING HERE AND THE EXPECTED AVERAGE RENT FOR 2/3 BEDROOM APT.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I hope you find what you are looking for. The geoexpat member Mat lives in Sham Tseng, I think. He might be able to help. I am more familiar with Gold Coast area (a bit further away up the coast). Let's see if this works ... @Mat are you watching?

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 02-03-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    marshy104 likes this.

Living v close to ST indeed.

Living advice:
    - Buses - much better than I thought when I moved there.
    962B to Central works pretty well, although getting on it at peak hour form bellagio isn't the best (lots of people
    52X to Meifoo/Lai Chi Kok/Prince Edward/Mong Kok - quick and convenient
    Plenty of minibuses to Tsing Yi and Tseun Wan

Disclamer: I go early to work (7.15/30) so usually have zero issue with transport. the return (central - ST is not an issue at all)

Supermarket:
    - Fusion is decent
    - Bellagio has a Vanguard
    - Welcome near the "old village"

- Shops:
    - couple of hair dressers/laundry/pet shops/ etc
    - Watsons / Mannings / JHC

- Restaurants:
    - A pretty OK thai, a big dim sum place, one indian, a vietnamese, a couple of "fake" westerns, a hot pot place. the usual Strabucks and a couple of dai pai dong (and a few others I cna't recall)

Bellagio is a good choice overall I would think (cheaper would be Sea Crest Villa, a bit after the village, more walk to the village but much easier to get on bus to work at peak hour), just go to work off peak hours if you can or walk a bit in the villlage to get in earlier

marshy104 and HK_Katherine like this.

Thanks Katherine and Mat excellent informative response.............

I though as much with the Bellagio transport situation at peak times, 72 floors of apartments fitting onto 10 double decker buses between 7-830 must be a nightmare! I would be catching the 730 so hopefully not too bad.

I did venture up to the Sa Crest Villa resort but the booking we made didn't show up. Would you know what the average room is compared to he Bellagio? Also the facilities, gym? I was impressed with Bellagio gym small but had 'heavy' weights / barbell which as a rugby player I need. I assume Sea Crest wouldn't have this.

Thanks again

Last edited by marshy104; 03-03-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Also if anybody can advise a good agent to use? Currently liaising with Midland Reality and KAM HOUSE.

I would suggest Olympic.