Like Tree2Likes

Specific building recommendations

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I've got 2 kids at AISHK and there are heaps of school buses going everywhere so really no need to live near the school.

But don't assume you can get a place even for prep 2017. There is a long waiting list at that age. Also do you realise they actually start at reception which is before prep? So should you be applying for reception 2016 or have you totally given up on any chance of that and will skip reception at AISHK and go to another kindergarten instead?

Also note that I think AISHK gives priority to Australian passport holders living outside of HK who are thinking about moving to HK, over Aussies already living here. I believe is some deal with the chamber of commerce as a way of encouraging and assisting Aussies to move overseas or something like this. So apply now FROM AUSTRALIA and you have a higher priority rather than apply after you are already here.

Also be aware that some of the other schools like ESF have some geographical boundaries and work complete opposite of schools like AISHK. You actually need to live in a certain area before you can even apply to the school. Its a totally ridiculous concept, I had a lot of stress about this when I first moved to HK 7 years ago applying to each ESF school separately and going round in circles with them not accepting my application because I don't live in the area of HK that they serve, and I told them I will move to that area if they accept my but they still do not even look at my application. Lucky I got into AISHK in the end.

So AISHK need to apply now from outside HK, ESF can only apply once here and living in a particular area close to the school you are interested in. It brings back some stressful memories for me
    Thanks so much bdf!

Yes I have been in touch with AISHK and under their instruction readying our application for Reception 2017 as we speak! (Sorry I meant this not Prep)

We will be applying from Australia so thanks for the heads up that this could be favourable.

We awon't have our eggs in one basket though.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Of the buildings on your list that I've been to, I'd recommend Belcher's over Bel-Air, only because of location and commute. Bel-Air is resort-quality and really beautiful area but very isolated in my opinion. If I lived there I'd want a car. You can't walk to shops very easily, have to get a taxi or a bus.

Belcher's is older and the units vary in quality, some are better maintained than others. But you can definitely get 1000+ sq. ft for under 65K (closer to 55K) there with decent sized helper rooms. It has good facilities - the pool is massive - and it's attached to a shopping center. Also the entrance to HKU MTR station is directly in front of it, so you'd take Island Line straight to Wanchai.
    i am surprised how people just disregard the requirements of the OP. he has said 1000 sqf livable area, which really means 1300-1500 gross sqf in HK. happy to be proven wrong but i dont think you can get that at Belcher's for 55k

also Bel Air is not within 30 mins of Wan Chai, except under the same exceptional circumstances as described above for Tuen Mun. i also dont think the Hermitage is 30mins door-to-door if you count in walking time to the MTR. depending on where the place is in happy valley and where the office is in wan chai, even that can be tough within 30 mins door-to-door

my personal suggestions would be grand promenade, provident centre, buildings near tin hau station (park towers), tai hang and tin hau temple street and taikoo shing. in my experience you get better space for money on the east side of wan chai/cwb compared to the west side (e.g. sheung wan, kennedy town). for a new comer and with kids, i would also recommend to live along/close to the island MTR line

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    my personal suggestions would be grand promenade, provident centre, buildings near tin hau station (park towers), tai hang and tin hau temple street and taikoo shing. in my experience you get better space for money on the east side of wan chai/cwb compared to the west side (e.g. sheung wan, kennedy town). for a new comer and with kids, i would also recommend to live along/close to the island MTR line
    Thanks Cookie09 for the recommendations

I will certainly look on the east side for comparison sake.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Is that total door-to-door travel time?
    yes. it's a common journey of mine.

Definitely check out The Harbourside in Kowloon Station. One of the best playrooms for kids in town, beautiful views and the whole area is is very kid friendly with nice outdoor playground, skating rink etc. Extremely conveniently (Wanchai 20min max., Central, Mong Kok) located and lots of kids here take the school bus to AISHK which takes app. 30-40 minutes. Till that time there is a great
    pre-nursery/kindergarten within two minutes walk, PIPS. Would suggest you sign your daughter up asap though. For your budget 3bdr is easily doable. Good luck, you can pm me if you want more info!

Last edited by Mrs. Jones; 03-03-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typo's
    TheBrit likes this.

i also dont think the Hermitage is 30mins door-to-door if you count in walking time to the MTR
    It can be done but it will be tight and will partially depend on the OP's walking speed.

i am surprised how people just disregard the requirements of the OP. he has said 1000 sqf livable area, which really means 1300-1500 gross sqf in HK. happy to be proven wrong but i dont think you can get that at Belcher's for 55k
    I was there in early Feb and saw an apartment with saleable area of 900 sq. ft being offered for $48K.

I just moved to HK so did the rounds very recently.

ETA: I don't now how up to date this listing is but did a search online to make sure I wasn't going crazy here.
    http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/property/15882446/
    Last edited by merchantms; 03-03-2015 at 02:47 PM.

also Bel Air is not within 30 mins of Wan Chai, except under the same exceptional circumstances as described above for Tuen Mun.
    ...which is why I recommended against Bel-Air and described it as isolated. Pokfulam in general would not work for OP.