Like Tree15Likes

Am I required to let agents enter our apartment to show the flat to their clients before our lease is up?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Some tenancy contracts have a clause that you will co-operate to let new tenants view the flat during a notice period, some don't in which case, you would be in your rights to say it isn't convenient.

However, you can try and negotiate with the LL if your tenancy contract has no such clause, i.e. money back if you co-operate and he finds a new tenant who wants to move in during the notice period.

Btw, requesting entry for viewing potential repairs is not the same as viewing to show prospective clients, so respectfully decline the LL's request.

shri, hftvol and bookblogger like this.

Thank you, I will take that into consideration though this is not an issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    What you call pristine may not be what the LL considers pristine, they might find ways to deduct some money, plenty of Tennants have had trouble getting the deposits back. If shit does hit the fan and u do have trouble with getting the deposit back, threaten the LL that you will go to the small claims court (Total $$ below 50K) to sue his arse

Thanks, I have listed the specific tenancy clauses in a post in this thread earlier. I was wondering how some of you interpret them.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Some tenancy contracts have a clause that you will co-operate to let new tenants view the flat during a notice period, some don't in which case, you would be in your rights to say it isn't convenient.

However, you can try and negotiate with the LL if your tenancy contract has no such clause, i.e. money back if you co-operate and he finds a new tenant who wants to move in during the notice period.

Btw, requesting entry for viewing potential repairs is not the same as viewing to show prospective clients, so respectfully decline the LL's request.

For my properties, I use the standard tenancy contract that you get from a stationery shop (the green thing in Chinese which is all over the place legally) and that includes a clause (clause 12 in the soft copy I copied to my PC) that within 2 months of the end of the tenancy term or termination, the tenant should allow viewing of the property by people with written authority from the landlord, at reasonable times and under the principle of no inconvenience. I don't have your tenancy contract so can't comment.

jrkob likes this.

Well, in that case, any time would be inconvenient

jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hftvol:
    I am not worried at all. We kept the flat in pristine condition and the LL is required by law to return the deposit within 30 days. And I know for sure the finances of LL are in good standing.
    every now and then a post comes along where i have to laugh out loud. this is one of them.

good luck is all i'd say

Am happy to report back when everything is said and done. While I appreciate all advice and warnings, I generally am not the person to worry about things that I cannot change anyway. Whether there are issues involved surrounding getting back my deposit is something I deal with when it comes to it, but certainly there is not much I can do about beforehand. But I am happy if I can make you smile and even more so if you can laugh. Looking at peoples' faces on the street makes me conclude a smile here goes a long way :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    every now and then a post comes along where i have to laugh out loud. this is one of them.

good luck is all i'd say
    DeannaX, Mat, wtbhotia and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ufo20022008:
    Seems the agent nor the landlord has the right to enter the property. Check it out here:

(3) Contents of a Tenancy Agreement

Tenant to have quiet enjoyment of the propertyThe purpose of the covenant is twofold: (i) to protect the tenant against eviction or dispossession from the property and (ii) to protect the tenant in occupation against interference with his normal use and enjoyment of the property. The landlord impliedly covenants with the tenant that the tenant's enjoyment and possession of the property will not be disturbed by any act of the landlord, his agents or servants.To enjoy quiet enjoyment, the tenant must pay rent punctually and perform and observe his covenants in the tenancy agreement. A landlord does not have to observe this implied covenant if the tenant fails to pay rent or is in breach of other terms of the tenancy in which case he may take action to evict the tenant and claim damages for the tenant's breach.

In the link that UFO has provided, at the bottom of the page, second last paragraph, notes the common provision for Landlord to be afforded access to show the accomodation to propective tenant/purchaser.

However, that provision is not an implied term therefore if its not writen into your Tenancy Agreement then the Landlord has no right to demand access from you for said purpose. Given the Landlord's approach to matters then I would refuse access.