Property agency fee

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Property agency fee

I was told that normal market practice on property agency fee is 50% of one month’s rent. I am looking to place to rent in HK Island for around 10k. Could anyone please advise whether is it reasonable for me to negotiate to reduce agent fee. If so, how much should I negotiate?

we got ours down to 25%, but only because our agent is my wifes brother-in-law...

back during SARS we were able to negotiate 25% as well. but i don't know if it would still be possible. I have a feeling not, especially on HK Island.

If you go through a well-known real estate agency that usually does paperwork before taking you to view flats, they will have made sure you've signed an agreement that includes your promising to pay half-a-month's rent to them as commission, etc.

Hm, never heard of these commission-hungry agents settling for less. (Let us know if there's any, eh?)

i arranged it with an agent in db during sars before we looked at any flats.

but, again, haven't been able to do it since.

Thanks for your comments. I have seen properties listing in go.home with different agencies. Does the property normally have listing with the other agents too. Will there be any issues having a few agents? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rolc:
    Thanks for your comments. I have seen properties listing in go.home with different agencies. Does the property normally have listing with the other agents too. Will there be any issues having a few agents? Thanks
    Sorry just to clarify my last quote…

Does the same property normally have listing with the other agents? Will there be any issues if I use more than one agent? Thanks

yes, many properties are mult-listing.

when you go to an agent, they usually have a form for you to sign that lists the properties they will take you to.

keep all of these when you go to another agent, so that you don't see the same place twice.

they do this to ensure that the first person to show the property receives the commission.

>> I have a feeling not, especially on HK Island.

I'd assume they'd be VERY negotiable right now, given that transaction volumes are very low - which implies that many agents are not taking home a commission at the end of the month.

for slaes comissions, yes. Rental? not.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast