Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK in July, Serviced Apts vs Renting

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK in July, Serviced Apts vs Renting

Hello Everyone.

I'm moving to HK in July from Australia and I'm having troubles on deciding on whether to live in a serviced apartment (Dash suites type places) or renting a place? Budget is about 15K. Can you guys give me a pro and cons list if possible?

The way i'm seeing it, apts to rent in Kennedy town for 15 k looks a little shabby and it doesn't come with any of the appliances, on the other hand, if i get a serviced apt around that price, it's much clean, better, has all the appliances i need.

Please help!

thanks

Last edited by Clee1593; 21-05-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    Sajitha likes this.

Serviced Apartments - Book for a month or 2. Get an idea of what various districts look like, what appeals to you, what the commute times are and then find a local agent and visit flats over a couple of weeks - no urgency to "sign now".

So, you don't recommend living in a serviced apt for +1 years?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

How much are the Dash suites? They look like they'd be more expensive than 15K pm.

The point of a serviced apartment is to have the flexibility of a short term but cheaper than hotel accommodation.

You can do whatever you want .. but once you've spent some time checking out the places. You might not like the serviced apartment you're in ... you might want another one.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Clee1593:
    So, you don't recommend living in a serviced apt for +1 years?
    Most people see serviced apartments as a stop-gap measure, till they have found their own place to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Most people see serviced apartments as a stop-gap measure, till they have found their own place to rent.
    Yes that's been my experience as well. The only exception I can think of would be the serviced apartments in Hung Hum (HarbourFront and HarbourView Horizon or something like that). They seem to be used on a longer term basis more regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Yes that's been my experience as well. The only exception I can think of would be the serviced apartments in Hung Hum (HarbourFront and HarbourView Horizon or something like that). They seem to be used on a longer term basis more regularly.
    Yeah the Harbourfront group of units run on 6month leases. You have to pay extra for maid service and they'd be around 16-18k for a 1bed and 20-22k for a 2bed. Each apartment is individually owned so there's a big variance in the quality and price, but the facilities are mid range condo standard.

Basically serviced apartments are usually much more expensive, and the difference between a service and normal rental is much more than the cost of buying a couple of appliances (or even furniture). So generally not used for long term.

Coming and staying for a month in one gives you the option to view the different options and then decide based on much better information than a few photos on the internet.

Assume ALL photos of accommodation have been doctored or otherwise are untrue. Seriously. There is no law in HK saying that they must be real photos so you will also often find the serviced places use more unrealistic photos than, say, an individual letting a flat might.

I went off this website

https://www.spacious.hk/en/hong-kong...ui/dash-suites

right ok. thanks guys i guess i'll chill in a serviced apartment, check out a few places while im there, contact an agent and move in when im ready.

back to the drawing board again! How's kennedy town? i have a few mates that have told me K town will suit me

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast