Like Tree8Likes

House sitting advice

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I've left my apartment in Kowloon empty as I don't trust people I don't know to house sit etc.

I'd rather keep it unoccupied than worry about a house sitter or somebody from airbnb trashing or stealing.
    I did the same with my London flat when I was in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    Interesting issue with commercialized house sitting. I agree with shri on the issue but I would use the word downside rather than liability.

I don't see factors that would entice normal families to engage in this practice, and would be interested to read more about it in HK. Hopefully the OP keeps us up to date on how much interest he receives from homeowners.
    @Viktri
    2 enquiries so far, though for different dates to when I'll be around unfortunately - the peak period for house sitting in HK seems to be July/August - this seems to coincide with when people are most likely to go away over the holidays. I've heard jobs are also easier to get for December, I assume for the same reason.
    As others have said in this thread, there doesn't seem to be as much of a market for it in HK generally though, compared to other areas.

Just for fun, I Googled 'House sitting nightmares'

#4. A Plus-Size Orgy
    NSFW - Links

Last edited by shri; 01-06-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Did you have to post that at lunchtime?

shri and AlexE5 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Just for fun, I Googled 'House sitting nightmares'

#4. A Plus-Size Orgy
    NSFW - Links

@Enderman
    I've heard worse!

I have a new question for your consideration:

Subject: The cheap flat – miraculous find or suspicious scam?

As an alternative to house sitting (given the disappointingly sceptic tone of remarks in this thread, my hopes of finding free accommodation have been somewhat dampened), I reached out to a new option: Craigslist.

Admittedly, it’s a site that has had a slightly questionable reputation in some quarters, but who knows – maybe my next dream home is listed on there somewhere?

And hey presto! A moment’s searching has produced: The Cheap Flat

The 2-bedroom apartment, listed at $500 per month (no currency specified), boasts cooking facilities, air conditioning, 2 bathrooms, a balcony, an ‘automatic bathtub reheating system’ (what is that? Doesn’t the hot water tap do the heating?), and a ‘multipurpose toilet seat’ (how many purposes are there for a toilet seat?).

The location is a mystery. I expect not listing it was a deliberate decision to create added intrigue.

I emailed the owner for further details, and received the following additional facts:
    · He doesn’t care much about the rent – he just wants responsible people who will care for the apartment (and here all you thread commentators were telling me that people in Hong Kong insist on charging for their accommodation spaces)
    · He sadly, is not available to meet in Hong Kong, due to an urgent move to London. But he has left his keys and contract, already signed, with Craigslist LTD (for some reason, Google isn’t recognising this as an actual company – I’m sure this is Google’s mistake)
    · The apartment is ready to move into! All I have to do is send some personal details (to help him evaluate whether I fit the description of ‘reliable person’) and the keys and rental agreement will be delivered to me at my current address.

The full conversation is below. So, opinions..? Amazing bargain? Scam to avoid? Sadly, I’m leaning towards the latter assumption…

My email:
    Hi,
    I wanted to enquire about the apartment listed here: the best for you - $500 per month
    Could you give me some more details about this? What is the exact location of the apartment and when is it available?
    Also, what is the currency that the price is stated in? It says $500 per month.
    Thanks,
    Alexandra

The reply:
    I am looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of it. I am not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean all the time and the possible tenant will see the house as his or her own, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
    The apartment is fully furnished with all necessary amenities (exactly like in the pics). It has dishwasher, washing machine and clothes dryer. There are two parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want to use your furniture). Pets allowed.
    The only problem is that I had to move with my job to United Kingdom, London where I am now and I left the keys and contract already signed by me at Craigslist LTD company and they will handle the rental process.
    They have a program that offers the tenant the possibility to check the apartment and makes sure that the tenant is fully satisfied with everything. The keys and rental agreement will be delivered by their agent at your current address same day. You will be given a 5 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and lease agreement. If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to sign the lease agreement and inform the agency.

Fraud .... Don't you know if it is too good to believe it usually is?

You can always tell by the weird convoluted English they use.

How come this time there is no demand for rental payment in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    How come this time there is no demand for rental payment in advance?
    maybe hasnt reached that part of the negotiation but definitely a SCAM.