Like Tree8Likes

House sitting advice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

House sitting advice

Does anyone have experience with house sitting in Hong Kong?

A friend and I had been looking at this option as we're planning to be in Hong Kong for quite a while later in the year, but I haven't seen many ads looking for house sitters. There seems to be a bigger market for it in other places - the usual house sitting sites like housesitads.com, housecarers.com, housesitworld.com etc. have plenty of listings for other countries, but very few for Hong Kong. Does anyone have advice about which house sitting sites would be best to place an ad on given that I am looking for house sitting options in Hong Kong? Have others had success in obtaining house sits?

Any general advice about house siting in the region would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alexandra

To be clear, does "house sit" mean "free accommodation"?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

People in Hong Kong don't like to give so much time off to their maids that would warrant giving free accommodation to a stranger.

[Heavily tongue-in-cheek]

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 29-05-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Providing free accomodation doesn't jive too much with how people think around here.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You might find something on Couchsurfers.com.

May be it is a cultural thing .. but why would anyone, in any country want a random stranger in their house for a random amount of time?

I am also one of those who does not understand the whole AirBnB thing when people let their personal living space out to others.

I also don't get the traditional Uber concept of wanting to drive strangers around town ...

Elegiaque and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz
    To be clear, does "house sit" mean "free accommodation"?
    @vmlinuz

It varies. Usually house sitting involves some work - pet care or some house maintenance/cleaning/gardening. Other times house owners just want someone in their house while they're away (usually if they are worried about security), but this is unusual. Sometimes house sitters get paid to be there (if they have to do a lot of work, for example), sometimes no money changes hands, sometimes the house sitters pay some money to contribute to utilities bills or a nominal amount of rent.

I have a lot of experience caring for pets, so usually I'd be doing that in return for free accommodation and maybe paying utilities bills or something along those lines, but different people have different practices.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    Providing free accomodation doesn't jive too much with how people think around here.
    @jrkob

It's interesting that it seems so uncommon. In Australia it's a really big thing and it's been taking off in Europe quite a bit recently. You can even find 'professional' house sitters who spend all their time house sitting as a job and just go from place to place depending on where the house sitting jobs are rather than renting.

@shri in the US people do it because they don't have full time helpers and they don't want to leave their home empty for a long period of time while they're away or on vacation. They might have pets that do better with someone living in or they think it'll reduce the chance of the house being burgled. The people I know who do it, though, are generally friends or close acquaintances.
    @AlexE5 if you look at the rent prices in Hong Kong, I think you'll quickly answer your question. Time and space in Hong Kong = value, and people do not give away something that makes money for free. If they're going to be away for months, they just continue paying their domestic helper (~$4000hkd/month) to stay there and continue taking care of the house/pets. For people who don't have domestic helpers, then they sure won't be giving away their hard-earned accommodation for free. It is better to just move out and stop paying rent for those months, or do a short-term let with AirB&B.

So you might need to think of Plan B if your Plan A was to get free accommodation in Hong Kong.

A handful of students live on Peng Chau island (=35 min. commute to HK Island by ferry). You can find an apartment there for only $5000-6000/month.

shri and AlexE5 like this.

The people I know who do it, though, are generally friends or close acquaintances.
    Yes, that I have no problems with. What I do not get are people letting complete strangers into their houses. The liability is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast