Like Tree34Likes

Moving to HK in August - where to live??? single, 25, female

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LOL, im not going to be running a wedding cake business on the side. I just do it for fun.

wtbhotia likes this.

Ok thanks! I'll have a look at Stanley too

1) as others have said, "dodgy," by HK standards, really isn't that dodgy. in terms of interpersonal violence, HK is astonishingly safe. don't know how it compares to places like Japan or Korea, but it's so much safer than American cities. high tourist places probably have their share of pickpockets but it won't get much worse than that.

2) if you don't want to live in Wan Chai, don't. It's not like it would be cheap to live there anyway.

3) we have a real oven, but this is considered kind of exceptional. Everyone else we know either has no oven or just a countertop one. But even ours, we couldn't do the bottom layer of a real wedding cake in. (One telling point: if you look at pans for the stovetop here, the vast majority have plastic lids or handles, because no one plans on finishing a dish in the oven, since they don't have ovens!)

do you like the party life/clubbing scene, stay in hk island

if you like quieter /less busier side of hk and prefer a much bigger apartment, some places in Kowloon may fit your needs

Nothing "dodgy" about Wanchai whatsoever. It's a big district, people always associate it with Lockhart Road only, which in itself is tame.

Wanchai is no better or worse than any other district in Hong Kong and it's super convenient to central.

Should be possible to find a place for 15k also.

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin89:
    My worry mainly comes from the fact that I don't have much time. I'm from London, know the city well, yet it took me 6months to find a place to rent because I'm so picky
    And now I just have 4 weekends to view and sign for a flat! - hence my concern.
    This is HK, not london so you do not have 4 weekends, you have 4 full weeks.

Agents will line up visit for you at lunch time, after work etc whatever time suits you. I have visited flats at 10PM in sundays. Heck I bought my first one at 11PM on a friday.

Forget your concept of 4 weekends, really.

As for areas, the 3 you mentionned are ideal for your profile and you will have plenty of options.

Do not worry.

Re Oven, I have alwways had one but size varied greatly (from the small portable one to the fitted one). so you should be able to sort something out.

So overall ..yes you are looking at the right area, no you shouldn't worry and worse comes to worse you extend by a month your stay in a service appartment.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
    merchantms and itsdawn like this.

OP this is what 15K looks like in KT for example:
    https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classi...ease/ad/232009

wtbhotia likes this.

I got a 2 bedroom fully furnished apartment in wanchai for 17k.

I do like the party scene, but I think apartment size is more important for me! I guess its just a question of going to look at everything I possibly can. And what do you guys think of living on the western side of HK island - like Chai Wan? I saw an ad for a flat share there, within budget, and the place looked HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin89:
    I do like the party scene, but I think apartment size is more important for me! I guess its just a question of going to look at everything I possibly can. And what do you guys think of living on the western side of HK island - like Chai Wan? I saw an ad for a flat share there, within budget, and the place looked HUGE.
    Not a bad idea and cheap by taxi after a night out.