Like Tree34Likes

Moving to HK in August - where to live??? single, 25, female

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    is it legal? can you change an industrial building to a residential one, what's the process?
    Fairly sure it's not legal
    imparanoic likes this.

is it legal? can you change an industrial building to a residential one, what's the process?
    Come on dude, you should there are lots of ILLEGAL stuff in HK by now LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Come on dude, you should there are lots of ILLEGAL stuff in HK by now LOL
    YEAH, like it's only illegal when you get caught!!
    wtbhotia likes this.

there are crap places ( much worse than hk or macau) in parts of London, nice burnt out cars, smashed glass windows every where, violent drug pushers/gangs and yobbo rob people in the street , ie, parts of south and east london

at the end of the day, every places has advantage and disadvantages, depends if the advantages suits your needs
    Whooosh ... that was the sarcasm flying over your head.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Huh?

HK bad but good for money? Huh? I guess you mean, "for earning money" if you have a particularly good job?
    C'mon...you too? Didn't the reference to Tuen Mun give it away?
    Mat and justjoe86 like this.

@Elegiaque and @imparanoic....

Really guys? You don't read Geoexpat enough then...

justjoe86 likes this.

OP, if you're picky, make sure you stand firm with your criteria and don't be swayed by agents. Given HK's density, there will be an apartment that suits you - but you need to have more than 1 agent keeping their eyes open for you.

I don't recommend wanchai. If you are the type of person that isn't comfortable in living in dodgy areas, then avoid it. For some people, the cost savings and convenience of wanchai are worth the neighborhood. Not everyone tolerates it in the same way. I hang out at the darts bars there every week, including weekdays (joe's and billidarts happy hours are cheap and there normally are few other people in the bars so that they're relatively quiet) but I wouldn't live in Wanchai.

My mate just rented a flat in happy valley for 17k. It is a walk up and they are on floor 2 (third floor, so two flights of stairs). 450sq feet is the usable size of the apartment. However, the price was negotiated down and the term was shortened to one year so my friend paid 6 months (in dated cheques) up front.

itsdawn likes this.

For the second time Wanchai is no dodgier than any other district in Hong Kong.

People always think of a 300m stretch of a single road when they hear wanchai, but guess what it's more than just that.

Mat, shri, wtbhotia and 1 others like this.

Hi Tamsin

29 y/o lad, used to live and work in London (Westferry/Canary Wharf) and now live/work in Wan Chai/ICC (Kowloon Station).

Don't be dissuaded by those folks saying Wan Chai isn't suitable for living in for a young professional. Anything south of Hennessy Road is perfectly normal. They have a Mclaren and Rolls Royce garage on Queens Road East for the person with a casual few mio HKD lying around!

I live around the Star St/Ship St area of Wan Chai and find it perfectly safe, even walking through the little streets between Queens Road East and Johnston Road/Wanchai Road. It's a stellar location, being slap bang in between Wan Chai and Admiralty MTR stations and you're ridiculously well connected not only by MTR, but also by bus and the tram, giving you plenty of options getting home, depending on your mood. Not to mention, you'll be slap bang in between Central and Causeway Bay.

It really does depend on what you are looking for in a place to live. I was looking for convenience and comfort and really don't mind a little traffic noise outside my window and for that middle ground of the area feeling a little local, but at the same time being expat friendly if I'm not bothered to speak in Cantonese.

For other areas mentioned in thread that I read:
    Stanley - the commute will bore you. Going to work isn't so bad, its getting home that will drive you nuts, especially if you have evening engagements.
    Kennedy Town - It's at the end of the line for a lot of things. Quiet and nice environment but for me it's a little bit, end of the line feeling.
    Olympic - Ultra residential but you're not far from Mong Kok/Sham Shui Po for your random shopping
    Mid-levels - Pricey and super expat-ty

wtbhotia likes this.

Ok fine - Wan Chai can go back on the list.
    Hmm, unfortunately Cantonese is not an option for me atm....maybe give me a few months and then I'll be able to say some phrases!

I don't want a long commute for sure, but then I think 'long' in HK is probably normal for the rest of the world!
    The more I think about it , the more I NEED this oven. So I'm gonna have to go wherever I can get my hands on one, or enough kitchen space so I can get one.

I've also heard good things about Discovery Bay. I know it will mean taking the ferry most days but apparently there is a good 'community feel' to the area. This recommendation came from a friend who's a HK local though - so not sure whether its best for my very first time in HK. Any thoughts anyone?