Advice needed for family of five

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice needed for family of five

Hi! I was hoping to receive some advice regarding where we should live.

We are a family with 3 boys (13, 6, 3) and we anticipate moving to Hong Kong sometime this summer. My husband's office in in Hung Hom. He'll also be spending a few days a week in Guangzhou. We'll be (attempting) to send our kids to one of the ESF- although as I understand it they are zoned to where you live. It's somewhat chicken or egg- do we pick a school and try to find a place in zone? Or the other way around?

I'm unsure of our housing allowance. We would like a place bigger than a shoe box (3 bedrooms), someplace convenient but with a little green. Possibly dog friendly? Somewhere that's friendly.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you

Somewhere along the east rail line might work - good for hubby to commute in both directions and has more space and green for your money ... no idea about schools though!

and it's VERY difficult to give ideas on areas until we can get some idea of budget.

off the top of my head i'd suggest kowloon tong...only a couple of stops via kcr to hung hom and also easy commute the other way to china.

I'm really not sure of our housing allowance, but let's assume it's equivalent to our current mortgage- about 30,000 hong kong dollars per month.

I know one of my husbands co-workers lives in mid levels, but I believe he drives to work. Would it be possible to live in mid levels/ pokfulam on the allowance and without a car? I'm thinking that in the end, my husband can deal with a slightly irritating commute (especially if he's living/working in Guangzhou 3 or 4 days a week)- it's more about a good area for schools, kids, meeting friends, a little green to help us breathe!

Does anyone have any input about those big complexes (like the Belchers)? Part of me thinks something like that might be nice, and then I start to feel hemmed in with worries about conformity and Disneyfication.

We stay at the Royal Garden in Tsim Tsa Tsui when we come out as a family, so I have a feel for the Kowloon side and the tourist-y experience. We'll be out in January for a chunk of time, anyone have any pre-move suggestions for that trip?

Thank you all!

Why would you want to live in Mid Levels? Truely - it is NOT the place to live if you are working in Hung Hom/ Guangzhou and want SPACE and GREENERY!!! It's possibly the most crowded, polluted and least green place you could choose, AND one of the most expensive! You will get a shoebox in midlevels for 30k - a large one bedroom flat maybe, or a tiny 2 bed one. I think you will find the suggestions from others above are actually much more helpful.

EDIT - the touristy experience on the Kowloon side is limited to TST. Go slightly further in any direction (which is what has been suggested) and it vanishes instantly.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 07-10-2008 at 07:51 AM.

[QUOTE=santosha;257881] I'm thinking that in the end, my husband can deal with a slightly irritating commute (especially if he's living/working in Guangzhou 3 or 4 days a week) [QUOTE]

Formerly lived in the Mid-Levels and regularly commuted to China, most likely your husband will take the through train from Hong Hom Station to GZ. When I did this commute some mornings from the Mid-Levels as it was difficult to get a taxi (even when reserved the night before as someone else would snatch it) and the commute by bus is also not easy, bus to Admiralty MTR to TST then walk to TST East Station to Hung Hom or bus directly. Some mornings just from Mid-Levels to Hong Hom station would take an hour by taxi very tight for the 7:20 am or 8:20 am through trains

ps> for a family of 5 that is a VERY small housing allowance, especially for HK... i would push for DOUBLE at least.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ps> for a family of 5 that is a VERY small housing allowance, especially for HK... i would push for DOUBLE at least.
    Not if they live in the NT or Kowloon, working in China and Hung Hom, I would highly recommend it.

and my flat is quite large and I pay half of what their housing allowance will be.

if you want greenery and vast space, consider the 'rural'/village houses near tai woo station, or it that's too remote, then tai wai as that more closer, ps, it's alot easier to travel to china and hung hom, if you live near the east line than living in the mid levels.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    if you want greenery and vast space, consider the 'rural'/village houses near tai woo station, or it that's too remote, then tai wai as that more closer, ps, it's alot easier to travel to china and hung hom, if you live near the east line than living in the mid levels.
    Agreed as for a family of five you'll be much better off with a village house and you should be able to get all three floors for your budget.
    Tai Wai is a good location as its on the KCR line and also close to Sha Tin for the shopping etc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast