Like Tree19Likes

HKU Student

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

One thing you will find in Hong Kong is that rules are rarely enforced unless your actions cause problems with others to the point they report you and then the authorities are forced into action.

In other words, if you live alone, and politely and quietly bring someone into your flat, and this causes no disturbances with others I'm sure you will be fine. If your guest becomes loud or bothersome, that could be a problem. Just be cool, respectful and polite and no problems.

East_coast and kaitypie like this.

Actually, i wanna say that u might not be able to bring outside friends specially the opp gender to your dorm. First, there is the security guard. Second, Only those who have the HKU access card are able to enter. Everyone need to scan the card first before entering.

Just from my view since i went there and everyone gonna scan the card in order to go up. I was delivery some food to a friend and the said NO.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    A fair number of students will likely mind significant others of the opposite sex spending the night. They're more likely to be tolerant of mothers or same sex friends staying over for an occasional night. (It's a privacy thing, for one, not to mention extra loading on the amenities.)
    I have lived in the HKU residences, and if the house-mate / room-mate... brought in the boyfriend, then Yes, I do mind. And I did complain to the security services.

OP, you already KNEW the rules of living there...
    Cheaper cost = follow the university's rules.
    Pay more = follow your own rules
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    One thing you will find in Hong Kong is that rules are rarely enforced unless your actions cause problems with others to the point they report you and then the authorities are forced into action.

In other words, if you live alone, and politely and quietly bring someone into your flat, and this causes no disturbances with others I'm sure you will be fine. If your guest becomes loud or bothersome, that could be a problem. Just be cool, respectful and polite and no problems.
    This seems to be a correct view of the dorms from my experience. No matter what dorm you are in you could end up with a roommate that is easily bothered. Talk to them first to get agreement, post grad students tend to be a bit more grown-up about these things. Saying that if you make the lives of other bothersome the rules are there to be applied.

You may find the dorms a little quite compared to US dorms. I suspect HK students in dorms are doing all the same stuff as any other student dorm around the world but just a little quieter.
    Last edited by East_coast; 29-06-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    kaitypie likes this.

Do you know if you will be in a single or double flat?

Anyway getting such a large flat in HK is a bit of a luxury in itself

z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    This seems to be a correct view of the dorms from my experience. No matter what dorm you are in you could end up with a roommate that is easily bothered. Talk to them first to get agreement, post grad students tend to be a bit more grown-up about these things.
    Like previous posters, I've had too much experience (from all round the world) of shared accommodation for 3 or 4 turning into a hutch for 8. All of a sudden there's no space to sit or make a coffee in the common areas, and yes, that hour wait for the bathroom, which never gets quite clean anymore.

So even laid back, grown up people may not be keen on SOs staying over. Regardless of whether they have partners themselves. It doesn't exactly solve the problem if I add my own partner to the crowd of 7 people stuffed into a place designed for 4.

Like a lot of social norms in crowded cities, it's all about figuring out how to rub along in cramped spaces where everyone can hear everyone else.

(Oh, and why are mothers tolerated - they generally clean the whole place, and provide home cooking for all )
    Last edited by z754103; 29-06-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Thank you everybody! You all provided a lot of insight, and I think based on this I will at least apply for the Pokfield Road residences. I've experienced just about every type of college living experience as an undergraduate: cramped room with another girl's bed 5 feet away from me and hall bathrooms shared with 30 others, apartment style dorms each with our own bedrooms, living with my parents and commuting 30 mins to school, and my study abroad dorm experience in Korea. HKU administrated housing will probably be the best option for me not only for the affordability, but for making friendships and connections in a new city with other students. I know I will have to keep my roommates in consideration before inviting guests over if I do end up in one of the shared flats since I have had my share of annoying SO's of my previous roommates invading my space.

z754103 and East_coast like this.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us updated on your life in HK! It'll be a fine adventure, however things turn out!

kaitypie likes this.

I'm considering both of these. It honestly depends on whether I receive a scholarship or not (I'm supposed to be notified at the end of June/beginning of July). Also I am talking to a family about a regular babysitting arrangement, so that may give me the extra money to afford the single if I don't receive the scholarship. Either would be great because as you said, they have more space than other flats with double the price. @East_coast

Last edited by kaitypie; 29-06-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    East_coast likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Keep quiet about the babysitting gig.The last thing you want is to be reported for working illegally...

z754103 and kaitypie like this.