Like Tree19Likes

HKU Student

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HKU Student

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to Hong Kong from the US in mid-August/whenever my student visa arrives, and I'm trying to find accommodation near the University. I'm a Postgraduate student, so I'm tired of the residence hall life and not up for sharing a bedroom with another obnoxious college student again. I was looking at the Pokfield Road residences provided by the university, and they seem like the cheapest option that would allow me to have my own room along with a space to cook which is essential on my budget. However, I am concerned with all the rules that go with university housing. I read that overnight guests of the opposite gender and alcohol are just two of the things not allowed. I was wondering how strictly these rules are enforced by HKU. It's not like I want to throw crazy parties or anything, but I'd like to be able to have a glass of wine in the comfort of my room and not have my boyfriend have to pay for a hotel when he already pays for a round-trip flight to visit me. If the rules are always enforced, I am in the market for a cheap studio or shared flat near HKU.

Why should the rules not apply to you?
    Not that I care about your glass of wine or your bf staying over. But the rules are laid out, if you can abide with them...look further.

I understand that completely, but I've seen similar "rules" in college dorms that were only written and not enforced by anyone. I was just wondering if anyone knew from personal experience what it was like at the Pokfield Road residences.

Open Casket likes this.

I don't think the OP expects the rules not to be applied to her; rather she is asking whether the rules are strictly enforced.
    @kaitypie

I have a feeling that rules about alcohol and partners of the opposite sex are enforced.

I think the drinking thing isn't strictly enforced, but the overnight guest thing might be. I have some friends I can ask....

Thanks @drumbrake and @Elegiaque

Housing applications are due July 15, so I need to make some decisions about what I'm willing to sacrifice for affordability pretty soon!

Well, regardless, you can go with the student housing now, then get yourself sorted and more familiar with HK in the first 6 months, and then move.

Ok, a friend told me that no one checks the alcohol (how could they anyway? the rule is probably just there to kick out anyone holding crazy parties). Guest staying over, no one enforces this either, but my friend had a local bf and kindly asked her roommate if she would mind, her roommate (Mainland Chinese, and I didn't quite understand, maybe a fresh undergraduate?) did mind. So my friend moved elsewhere. So that's maybe down to luck with roommates, and if you are having a boyfriend staying over often and it upsets your roommate, then they have the right to complain, I guess.

LifeInHK and kaitypie like this.

A fair number of students will likely mind significant others of the opposite sex spending the night. They're more likely to be tolerant of mothers or same sex friends staying over for an occasional night. (It's a privacy thing, for one, not to mention extra loading on the amenities.)

If you don't have room-mates but have somewhere that is 100% your own (including kitchen and bathroom), then it'll depend on whether security monitor people staying over or if residents in the block/corridor figure it out and report it. (They may out of security concerns, for example).

If there's a shared kitchen/bathroom set up, then you shouldn't assume people will necessarily be ok with an extra resident they don't know sharing that living space for extended periods.

I know it's a pain, but you may want to weigh up the benefits of getting more decent subsidized university post grad housing and having your b/f staying somewhere outside (airbnb or check if HKU post grad guest rooms you can reserve for him), vs getting your own accomodation that you can share when he visits. In which case you may wish weigh up either smaller/lower quality housing for your whole period in HK (for the same price as the HKU housing ) or paying more for commensurate quality housing.

BTW, if you do look for your own housing and go for apartment sharing, you may wish to clarify in advance that you will have b/f staying, for approximately how long, just to make sure your room mates are all on board. Since HK accommodation can be quite cramped, some of the locals will get a hotel room rather than take partners back home, out of consideration for their room-mates.

Last edited by z754103; 29-06-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Elegiaque, LifeInHK and kaitypie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    A fair number of students will likely mind significant others of the opposite sex spending the night. They're more likely to be tolerant of mothers or same sex friends staying over for an occasional night. (It's a privacy thing, for one, not to mention extra loading on the amenities.)

If you don't have room-mates but have somewhere that is 100% your own (including kitchen and bathroom), then it'll depend on whether security monitor people staying over or if residents in the block/corridor figure it out and report it. (They may out of security concerns, for example).

If there's a shared kitchen/bathroom set up, then you shouldn't assume people will necessarily be ok with an extra resident they don't know sharing that living space for extended periods. ....
    Exactly. Very good points.

I hated it when I had roommates with indefinitely staying boyfriends or guests. (With the retort that I could have guests/boyfriends too, but I didn't have any!!) But this was in a culture where that was the norm, so I had to suck it up and wait an hour for them to free up the bathroom. :/

Surely the OP will want more privacy anyway with a boyfriend visit. It'll be a nice break for her too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast