Like Tree11Likes

Hanging laundry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've got the rack outside and we're on the 30th floor. I lock any cats/kittens in the other room, and then just put the stuff out. It becomes quite natural after some time. Use clothes pegs to secure everything. Have lost a few clothes pegs, once dropped a piece of clothing, which fell on the landing of the AC below, so I got some sticks and worked to pick it back up. Lost $5 coin, too. I'm tall enough to reach far out easily, though, and the shorter people/cleaner can't. I love being able to dry my clothes outside -- no room inside and they get a good dose of sunshine. Because it's near the AC exhaust, in the summer they dry in about an hour...

And remember to check the weather in case it rains...

You could also hang them in a small room door closed with a dehumidifier running.

We use a combination of hanging/humidifier and, local laundry shop. Cheap and efficient.

I dry mine inside but I don't like the smell/humidity that builds up. Turning the AC on helps but I usually keep the door open and leave a fan on. That has worked.

I would prefer to dry them outside but I have a bunch of plants on my balcony and just isn't ideal I guess for me.

I have thought about a tumble dryer. I wanted a gas one but was told you must install in the kitchen. I don't want anything stacked or hanging from the ceiling (an eyesore I think) and space is tight to fit a full size tumble dryer in my cabinets. Have thought about putting a condensation dryer in the helpers room but never got along to it. Plus I think the current method is working ok.

Any thoughts on quality/effectiveness of a condensation dryer?

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    So you are using a tumble dryer to avoid the dirty air smell that you create by using a tumble dryer?
    I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on how much air pollution in HK is caused by the generation of electricity from the coal plants with FGD installed and the 40% that comes from emission-free nuclear.....
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!

Any thoughts on quality/effectiveness of a condensation dryer?
    i have one of those combo, washer/dryers in one, where you can only dry half as many clothes as you can wash. is that a condensation dryer?
    if so, sure, it's fine. if i owned a place and was staying there long term i wouldn't get it, unless i had some real space issues. but since we rent and yet still had to buy our own washing machine (which, yes, is annoying), and we got a good deal on this, we have no regrets. you do need to think ahead more than you do with a normal washing machine, since it takes so long.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Whatever can be tumble-dried is, whatever can't be gets put on the airer in the spare bedroom.

I'm not risking life and limb (sadly, it does happen) just so laundry can be dripped on from above.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 07-07-2015 at 03:42 PM.

I found that a short amount of tumble drying, and then indoor drying, worked well. If not tumble-dried a bit, things turned hard and somewhat starchy.

We are not allowed to hang laundry outside as per building by laws so we put them on racks indoors and let dry overnight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast