Like Tree10Likes

Village house living on a budget - actual costs?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Not to mention that the cost of registering/ insuring/ running a car can easily cancel out any savings on the rent...
    Sai Kung 'is' the MOST expensive location to grocery shop, in Hong Kong... Be prepared to PAY PAY PAY if you want to live here. It is more expensive to eat out in Sai Kung than it is on the Peak or South Side of HK Island.

Our grocery bill increased by on average of about 40% on a weekly food shop... That's about $2000 more a month in our case, compared to where we were living before. Hardware shops located here charge heaps more for for general bits n pieces.

So.........if you are expecting a low cost existence of frugality in Sai Kung, you are going to be in for a very rude shock.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 29-07-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

How are the village houses in tung chung, like shek mun kap village and shek la pau? Im looking for an accommodation in tung chung so any advice would help.

The typical cycle of an expat...

Comes to HK, posts on Geoexpat, where should I live in HK?

Get's all of this advice then picks a place far out, let's say Aberdeen, no car.

Then on here 6 months later, new building, blasting and pilling noises, how to get out of my lease.

--> Can't

Then 6 months later, moving, where to go?

I want to be central but not pay the high MidLevels rents, so Wan Chai red light district old building.

--> 6 months later....too noisy at night, go outside and being picked up by girls, bad allergies, poor air con, bugs...

6 months later, I want more space. Sai kung is my heaven...

.....cycle repeats

wtbhotia likes this.

Tung Chung villages? I think they are not bad. I used to run by them, seems to have a reliable minibus, easy taxi. Some are quite convenient to the MTR, bike/running path to the MTR as well. Where are you going on a daily basis?

I would be going to cathay city on daily basis. So I was wondering if commuting from the village house for example in shek mun kap village would be convenient? Secondly I'm not sure if these places have grocery shops, etc.
    The other options are the tall apartments near tung chung MTR but they seem to be small in size and a bit costlier.

If not Tung chung then is there any other place on the MTR line which would be within half an hour's commute to cathay city.

Quote Originally Posted by Naz_sidd:
    If not Tung chung then is there any other place on the MTR line which would be within half an hour's commute to cathay city.
    Tsing Yi.

Quote Originally Posted by Naz_sidd:
    I would be going to cathay city on daily basis. So I was wondering if commuting from the village house for example in shek mun kap village would be convenient? Secondly I'm not sure if these places have grocery shops, etc.
    The other options are the tall apartments near tung chung MTR but they seem to be small in size and a bit costlier.

even though it's geographically far

Fanling and sheung shui has direct buses to Airport A43, takes around 40-45mins, more importantly, cheaper village houses are available ( than chung tung), local amenities such as supermarkets, etc are easily reachable, the only issue, if you need to get to airport after 11.30pm or before 6am, then it's has to be via taxi

Are you going to Cathay City daily on a fixed schedule or are you a crew with variable schedule?

As far as Tung Chung goes, you get what you pay for, and by choosing a village house, I don't think you are getting any benefit, rather headache. You can check the bus routes but basically the airport bus passes by the Tung Chung fire station, so that kind of limits you to Tung Chung Crescent if you want to be close. With potential waiting time of 10-12 minutes plus the time to get to CX city, and walking, you're already looking at 25-30 minutes.

At the villages, there are some local restaurants and shops, the restaurants are not cheap though like local options, you will easily spend 130-150+ just for dinner. There are a few shops that I've seen but nothing special and usually very specialized, I remember there is an Indian food grocery, never went inside.

Walking and waiting for a minibus plus the 5 minutes to the TC mtr, I think the time will add up quickly getting to the airport, unless you budgeted to take a taxi, which is probably just $40-50 each way to Cathay City.

Tsing Yi has buses to the airport but again you are limited to getting close to the bus stop, plus it is quite a far distance from Tsing Yi to Cathay City if you're trying to keep within your 30 minute door to door travel time. Tung Chung is going to be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    even though it's geographically far

Fanling and sheung shui has direct buses to Airport A43, takes around 40-45mins, more importantly, cheaper village houses are available ( than chung tung), local amenities such as supermarkets, etc are easily reachable, the only issue, if you need to get to airport after 11.30pm or before 6am, then it's has to be via taxi
    Fanling and Sheung Shui MTR stations have become a nightmare in recent years tho...
    imparanoic and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Fanling and Sheung Shui MTR stations have become a nightmare in recent years tho...
    but the a43 air port bus is rarely packed
    wtbhotia likes this.