Like Tree41Likes

Pok Fu Lam School / Kwun Tong Work - Where To Live

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Nep

They said: The air is much nicer, the beach is closer, its much more quiet....

We have been looking at places in Tai Tam (pacific view) an it has been really nice.
    Also the Brentwood in Repulse Bay seemed like a nice place.

We have liked many of the places, but its really hard to imagine how the daily routine will be...

Nep

I agree!
    The week was spent to look at the different areas mainly and if there is any chance at all to get something for our money.

Now we will move into some serviced apartment or a hotel and start the search in more detail.

Chances are your school is either one of these:

Kennedy School / West Island / I something or the other or Kellett

Kennedy Town / West Island / Kellett kids are mostly from the Southside with a majority of them from Pok Fu Lam.

Forget about your commute and consider the kid's commute / social life....

Quite a few options in Pok Fu Lam - some of them have frequent buses to either Kennedy Town or HKU MTR station. From there, the commute to Kwun Tong is not too bad - 30-45 mins. My 13 year old does it every day on the MTR to Kowloon Bay and I'm sure you can figure out how to deal with it.

Places like Scenic Villas, Belair, Baguio Villas and the smaller other communities / developments are not "expat ghettos". Good mix of long term local population (80%+), long and short term expats.

Avoid Repulse Bay / Tai Tam / Stanley - there is a lot of traffic on that part of the island and you'll be restricted to the Aberdeen Tunnel which is congested at peak hours.

Some people like Kennedy Town - I don't like it. Apartments are newer, lots of construction and just too crowded for me. Parking is a mess ....

Get a place which has good parking ... the morning drop off to school in the car will pay for the car park in terms of school bus savings.

Last edited by shri; 06-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Nep

Thanks!

Great info.

The school is the GSIS. They have a campus on Pok Fu Lam where she will be for another year or two.

I am mainly thinking about the kids commute in this case.

Also I dont really plan to have a car.

We have been looking at places in Tai Tam (pacific view) an it has been really nice.
    Really nice place .. BUT ... If the school is in Pok Fu Lam and you need to get to the MTR - consider the commute. Can be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    With 60k you can rent a 1200sf unit (gross) in The Belcher's.

(I misread your initial post obviously).
    i second belchers or nearby buildings

Belchers might also be a good option. Right on the MTR station and the kids have an easy commute - all on Pok Fu Lam Road.

There are a few other good developments on Pok Fu Lam road, older government quarters and some nice older buildings (few facilities, but spacious).

The other thing with corporate agents - they don't have access to a lot of listings in many of these buildings and have to share their commission with the landlord's agent... might reduce the pool of what they show to you.

GSIS families live everywhere on the island. There is a mandatory school bus policy at GSIS Pok Fu Lam and here's the bus route.

http://school.kcm.com.hk/ors/downloa...20schedule.pdf

I would also look at Happy Valley / Stubbs road / Tai Hang.

shri and Nep like this.

And do read this before you do down to Tai Tam / Repluse bay etc...

Summer days the worst for Hong Kong's narrow Southside roads | South China Morning Post

Nep likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Belcher's could be a good spot. Okay there's no beach, but there is a pool and a clubhouse. You can walk to the MTR in a couple of minutes and your 5-y-o will have a 10-minute bus ride to GSIS.

Nep likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast