Like Tree41Likes

Pok Fu Lam School / Kwun Tong Work - Where To Live

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

A car is very useful if you live out in the sticks, but then again most people living out in the sticks won't have a car. If we need one, we just rent one, say for the weekend. But having lived in Hong Kong more nearly 30 years, admittedly sans children, we've found public transport very adequate.

Nep

Is Pok Fu Lam "in the sticks"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nep
    Is Pok Fu Lam "in the sticks"?
    We're going to have to get you a map, son.

No, it's not in the sticks. The 'sticks' is way out in the New Territories. Pokfulam, if using the HKU MTR station, is less than10 minutes from the CBD.
    Nep, Elegiaque and HK_Katherine like this.

Depends .... until we moved to PFL about 13 years ago, we thought it was the sticks.

A car is nice ... but depends on the life style. With younger kids, classes, activities... might be worth taking a look at. Taxis / Buses / MTR are super cheap, but can be a pain in the arse. Takes me 10 mins to get to work in the car as opposed to 30-40 mins by bus / taxi (walk to bus stop, wait for the bus then catch a cab home).

Keep in mind that many large housing estates (new ones esp) have limited parking spaces.

Nep likes this.

- you dont really need a car
    - We live in Happy Valley and have 2 kids that go to Pok Fu Lam daily for school, its a relatively easy commute for them on school bus. Lots of kids in HV go to southside schools.
    - Bus 117 takes you to the other side of the tunnel and then you can hop on the MTR to your workplace
    - Tell your agent to go pound sand. He is not directing you to better choices

Nep and HK_Katherine like this.

Nep

Hehe!

I was not sure if "the sticks" might be a name for those highrise towers!

dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep
    Hehe!

I was not sure if "the sticks" might be a name for those highrise towers!
    Just an expression meaning "a rural area considered remote or backward".
    HK_Katherine likes this.

we call these the sticks

Name:  HK_Stubbs_Road_Highcliff_n_The_Summit.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  1.11 MB

Nep

see ;-)

I know of some buildings on Kennedy Road where you can get 1000+ sq ft flat for $60k per month. Walk down to Wan Chai MTR via Hopewell Centre and be in Kwun Tong within 45 min. Kid gets bussed to school in PFL in under 30 min. Kennedy Rd is considered mid levels but much less crowded than Robinson, Caine, etc.

There was also a poster here that advertised Jolly Villa on Tai Hang Rd (1500sq ft for $52k). Mini bus to CWB MTR and hop on the train to Kwun Tong - done in 45 min. Kid gets bussed to PFL is 30 min as well.

There is also another area in Tai Hang - check out Tung Lo Wan Road - 1000+ flats in your price range. Lots of little restaurants, close to Vic Park, walk to Tin Hau MTR. You get the idea?

I would not live in southside if I worked worked in Kwun Tong unless I had a driver. And if I wanted seaview I would look at Larvotto and Marinella in Aberdeen before I would look at Repulse Bay, Stanley and Tai Tam. You can always visit Stanley and RB on the weekends.

shri and Nep like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast