Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zw2zhang
  • 2 Post By jgl

22F banker looking for apartment starting Sept 20th on HK Island side

22F banker looking for apartment starting Sept 20th on HK Island side

Hey guys!

I am moving from New York to relocate in HK for work. My company's paid service apartment runs out end of Sept so I am looking to continue and sign a long term lease. Id hope to find an apartment in Central but happy with central, cwb, wanchai, sheung wan area as long as it is close to the subway line.

Id be impartial between my own studio/apt or sharing with roommates. If anyone who is also looking for apartments and looking for roommate, give me a message! I dont bite.

My budget is around 10-15k pending on what I get, obviously lower the better. Let me know where I should start looking. Hongkong doesnt seem to have a consolidated website platform so it'd be nice if people have ideas on where to start. THANK YOU!

Cheers.

AZ

msman likes this.

From your message I'm inferring that you're not in HK yet?

Flathunting in HK is best done in person, on foot. Basically you turn up to an agent with a list of requirements and tell them to take you to see a bunch of different flats. Everything is so close here (and you can't heave a brick without hitting an estate agency) that you can cover a lot of places in a day.

imparanoic and HK_Katherine like this.

I have landed in HK already just traveling for work right now.

So you suggest I should just go to the areas I want to live and find agency firms to show me around? Am I only obligated to pay agent fee if I sign with them?

Yeah of course, like the rest of us. You pay a 1/2 month agency fee to the agent who seals the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zw2zhang
    I have landed in HK already just traveling for work right now.

So you suggest I should just go to the areas I want to live and find agency firms to show me around? Am I only obligated to pay agent fee if I sign with them?
    Yes, find agents in the area, give them criteria and make sure they stick with it (especially budget, agents will tend to go over your stated budget) and ask how many places they have to show you.

You're supposed to sign an exclusivity agreement with them stating that if you see a place via them, you will rent through them and that there will be a fee of a month(?) if you go ahead. Others on the forum have stated that they negotiate this fee down or refuse the agreement altogether (though if you refuse to sign, not sure why they'd bother to show someone around). I could be wrong on the amount, I haven't flat hunted for ages. I'm sure someone else can chime in here.
    Last edited by jgl; 27-08-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Don't see the same property with multiple agents, because you are obligated to keep track of that, and if you sign 2 forms for the same flat and end up renting, you legally owe the agency fee times to each party.

do agents cover similar properties then? How do I know which one is a good agent and which ones are waste of time...

do agents cover similar properties then? How do I know which one is a good agent and which ones are waste of time...
    Treat all agents as useless once the contract has been signed and commissions have been paid as after that most will not help in any issues, it is between you and the land lord

Kennedy Town you can get a 1 or 2 bedroom small apartment around 400sqft for your budget, nothing fancy with clubhouse etc but still ok to live in and KT has a public swimming pool which is very nice, lots of restaurants and bars. MTR is very convenient to central.

There is a bunch of overlap and no one-stop place. Online sources are not reliable and merely to generate leads to convert.

The price with one agent is this and with another agent it might be different. So honestly you will never know. But just finding a place that you like is hard enough, if you want something clean and not defectively designed. You'll see once you get here. If you find a place that you like, jump on it, because they means 50 other people also like it and you will miss out, be sad, repeat cycle.

Treat all online advertising (including anything you read on here) as being false until you turn up and see it in person. Pretty much 90% of anything online is either a scam (all of cragslist, which nobody real actually uses here) and most of the online agencies just show "sample" flats not real ones they actually have). Assume all photographs have been touched up - including, in some cases, removing entire towers to make it look like there is a good view and similar. Assume all agents are idiots until they prove otherwise and if they show you something that;s not remotely close to your requirements refuse to even look at it (wasting their time gives them the message faster than any words). Assume any price (including lease costs and agency commissions) can be negotiated. Expect to make some serious compromises on your idea home (e.g. right size, wrong location; right location, wrong price; everything great... but you have to walk up 10 flights of stairs... etc).

But, as someone else said, if you actually find something you like, grab it.