Housing allowance after mariagge

Housing allowance after mariagge

We're thinking of marriage sometime next year and wondering what would be the common practice of housing allowance for expat couple.
    We work for different companies and get the allowance 18~20k/month each. I don't think my company keeps on providing me 18k even after marrying, but how it will be changed? if we move in to a new apartment, can we claim 'resident provided by employer' jointly?
    Appreciate advice from someone who experienced such situation. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo1982
    I don't think my company keeps on providing me 18k even after marrying
    What do you mean "you don't think" ?

Is there a provision in your employment contract saying that should you get married, your employer will reserve the right to reduce/cancel your housing ? If no, I see no ground for your employer to renegotiate your housing. That you get married is a purely personal matter. Accepting a reduced housing is equivalent - to me - to accept a pay cut. Which may be you should agree to if you think you're underperforming etc etc... but otherwise, I see no ground for renegotiation.

I think OP is referring to how to claim it on his taxes.

Thanks for your comment. For instance, company provides 20k for single, 30k for a couple(or family) as housing, which means we don't need 20k per person to maintain the same quality of life. That's the reason why I speculated that company might reduce the allowance...
    But you're right, I think(hope) the company doesn't have a right to reduce allowance by my personal event.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    What do you mean "you don't think" ?

Is there a provision in your employment contract saying that should you get married, your employer will reserve the right to reduce/cancel your housing ? If no, I see no ground for your employer to renegotiate your housing. That you get married is a purely personal matter. Accepting a reduced housing is equivalent - to me - to accept a pay cut. Which may be you should agree to if you think you're underperforming etc etc... but otherwise, I see no ground for renegotiation.
    Thanks for your comment. For instance, company provides 20k for single, 30k for a couple(or family) as housing, which means we don't need 20k per person to maintain the same quality of life. That's the reason why I speculated that company might reduce the allowance...
    But you're right, I think(hope) the company doesn't have a right to reduce allowance by my personal event.

Seems like you should get 10k a month more to me.

Agree with TB here, and this 10k hike makes a lot more sense than the 10k loss the OP expects. Both of you should check if you can get the hike to make it 60k rather than 40k currently.
    Some people who get married sometimes plan to have kids so the "we don't need 20k per person to maintain the same quality of life" doesn't hold true.
    Not to mention company's policy with respect to rental adjustments: the housing portion of my compensation hasn't been adjusted since 2006 I think it is. Yet rentals increased during this period.

I had further thoughts: rental adjustment following changes in marital status may not be mentioned in your employment contract. I had a look and in my case it's mention in what my company calls the "Company's Policy". It may be called "Employee Handbook" etc etc... check this as well.

Basically no point speculating, just read.

I just asked my junior who got married recently: in my company there is no adjustment in housing when there is a change in marital status.

There is nothing official in my company handbook either, but I got bump in Housing Allowance for each child. My manager sorted it out with HR.