Like Tree1Likes

Garden East wan chai

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Garden East wan chai

Hi all,

Moving to HK on 16 September from Sydney!

I booked quite late so didn't have that many accommodation options but chose garden East wan chai!

Thoughts on this apartment just so I know what to expect?

Thanks,

Mala

Well my condolences to you for having to live in wan chai , i live have lived in over 15+ locations in HK and found Wan chai to be the most unappealing place i have ever lived in while residing in HK for over 8 years.

I can't comment on the apartments but make sure you don't get one that overlooks queens road as it's a very busy 4 lane road.Maybe you should ask for a north facing room if they have any or a apartment at or near the top floor to lessen the noise pollution.

Last edited by HK ENGLISHMAN; 25-09-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Where else would be a better option?

Happy valley or causeway bay ( closer to the hills and as far from the main roads the better) i lived in dragon garden on Tai Hang road in causeway bay once (road going up to the peak) and it was very pleasant and also convenient.

I cant recommend any serviced apartments as i have not become so lazy/old to clean my own place and most of them are a rip off even by HK standards.

Last edited by HK ENGLISHMAN; 25-09-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cartiermarina
    Where else would be a better option?
    A better option would be to consider more opinions that that of a single GXP member. Better still would be to live in a service apartment for a month or so when first moving to HKG to get to know people, neighborhoods and specific housing blocks before signing a (typical) two-year lease.

Good luck.

I lived in Wan Chai on Kennedy Road and LOVED it. But again, that's just one person's experience.

Kennedy road and queens road are quit different so im not surprised you liked it there,it would not surprise me if you managed to get a good nights sleep there too.Like i said better to live nearer the hillside where it's less populated.

When people think of wan chai they think of hennessey road and lockhart road which is the area you don't want to live if you value a good nights sleep and dont want to fight through a mob of people as soon as you step out of your building .

Last edited by HK ENGLISHMAN; 25-09-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK ENGLISHMAN
    Kennedy road and queens road are quit different so im not surprised you liked it there,it would not surprise me if you managed to get a good nights sleep there too.Like i said better to live nearer the hillside where it's less populated.

When people think of wan chai they think of hennessey road and lockhart road which is the area you don't want to live if you value a good nights sleep and dont want to fight through a mob of people as soon as you step out of your building .
    I think those are fair points you make. I do find you eventually get used to background noise. In fact after living in places with a lots of city sounds, the quiet of the suburbs can be a little unsettling sometimes.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja
    A better option would be to consider more opinions that that of a single GXP member. Better still would be to live in a service apartment for a month or so when first moving to HKG to get to know people, neighborhoods and specific housing blocks before signing a (typical) two-year lease.

Good luck.

I lived in Wan Chai on Kennedy Road and LOVED it. But again, that's just one person's experience.
    Thank you, huja. Thinking the same of getting a service apartment first. We are looking around wanchai/central/causeway bay neighborhood. But would also try north point or quarry bay.

Hey,

I moved in last week and I actually love Garden East on Queens Road and I would definately reccomend it to others coming in to HK. Once the windows are shut you cant hear a thing and you dont really want the windows open because you NEED the AC. Was pleasantly surprised - or I just really had low expectations!

The facilities, staff and convenience of Garden East is great too. Funny enough I have come to love Wan Chai and am signing a 1 year lease here at the serviced apartment Luard on Park. The apartment doesnt have a hotel feel and I actually love it. Even has a decent sized kitchen etc. and you dont need to worry about paying for utilities etc. because it is all inclusive and its cheaper than getting a run down apartment unfurnished.

Wan Chai on Garden East side is not super busy like other areas of HK and its so convenient to everything!!!!

Happy to answer any specific questions on my experiences living in Wan Chai and looking for apartments as well.

Mala

Hi Mala. In Luard on Park, do they also allow short term stay like a month or so for serviced apartments?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast