Like Tree5Likes

Moving to HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Come And live in fanling (probably sheung shui is not too great when smugglers)

Great view of hills, larger apartments. Single journey at 39 minutes on mtr to tsim sha tsui , you can cycle in nt country side for leisure purposes, ie, sha Tau Kok Rd and bridle pool Rd is nice to cycle

Or consider yuen long as well

Enderman, Nelly.G and emilyli like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly.G:
    Indeed Fanling can be a great option for you, and also it's very true that Sheung Shui is a bit crowded with those traders.
    Plenty cycling options around, hiking, camping...
    everyone has different requirements, i like the slighly bigger apartment and less crowded space

car parking is a bit more affordable here

my view from my apartment at 21st floor is nice, westerly direction ( a lot of sunlight and a bit hot at times), nearest building from my view is around half a mile, but 80% of the view is nice green hills

look at Tseung Kwan O. Nice parks / Cycling track around the whole area, close to the beaches and country parks, MTR station. It even has a cycling velodrome if your into that LOL

imparanoic likes this.

You may live in tai wai while u take 30 mins to TST, and it is convenient to buy anything else you needed, you can enjoy cycling and have a nice day near the "river"

Or in Tuen Mun for that matter: in a modern, compact flat with excellent facilities directly on top of transport terminus and shops, opposite a large urban park, with the bike path running through that park going all the way from the seafront to Yuen Long, or a bit away from the madding crowd in one of the villages with connections with either the railway or express bus routes.

So many options!

Definitely plan a month or so in a hotel suite/ serviced apartment so you can check out at least some of the different areas before you make a decision.

Mui Wo would definitely be worth considering. You have so much hiking and even cycling at your finger tips there. There's a pretty nice expat community, too. Good bakery, nice restaurants. Commuting to TST would mean taking the ferry and then transferring over, but it's do-able within 50 minutes (depending on where exactly in TST you're going).

OP, your best bet is, and especially if you do not know HK well, or have never stepped foot here, is to book a serviced apartment for two months, and look around to see areas where you may want to reside long term. If you like to cycle and are an outdoors person, then the New Territories up along the West Rail Line would be ok. Easy for you to get work and home again either via bus or MTR. The islands are also a good option. I live on south Lantau, which is a haven for hikers and weekend cyclists, laid back lifestyle and larger properties for lower rent. However, this is changing fast now that more people are moving out to here. There are buses to the MTR in Tung Chung, or a ferry from Mui Wo. Tung Chung has become expensive like Hk Island and just as crowded. Lamma, Cheung Chau, Peng Chau islands - you are at the mercy for the ferry for transport to work, but times are regular and you just catch the ferry to central, and change to the MTR or the star ferry back to TST. Lamma is also great for hiking and cycling. Not so much strenuous hiking but enjoyable.