Like Tree5Likes

Moving to HK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Moving to HK

Well just over two weeks till i land in HK and still no idea about where to get an apartment, can you please help??? I will be working in TST and plan to use the MTR or other public transport to get about, I am 52 and will be living alone any ideas on places to look at and indeed places not to look at I Have been warned against Wan Chai but have no real idea any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Any other info about what you like? Budget? Preferred minimum size?

Nothing wrong with wan chai.

You can't really get a place before you arrive because HK just has to be seen and the best way to find appts is to do it on foot with an agent anyway.
    Stop stressing until you arrive.
    When you do, go to work (or whatever you are here for) and then take the MTR or a bus from work in any direction for the length of time you are prepared to commute, get off and look around, if you like what you see, keep reading. If not, get back on the bus/MTR. If you look around you will see an estate agency within a few minutes. Go in and ask to see property in the area.

Yeah, need to know your budget, any special requirements facilities wise (gym, pool etc etc) and a bit about your lifestyle preferences in order to advise further.

Thanks did not mean to offend about Wan Chai just what I was told, regards budget looking at about $20k not really into night clubs like getting out in the open as I currently live near the Peak District in the UK, love cycling and intend to bring my bike across at some point

Working in TST, and more interested in outdoors activities? Depending on your commute tolerance, there are lots of options in the New Territories (either Eastrail or Westrail lines, or buses) where 20K will get you some very nice digs.

So, how much time are you willing to spend on commuting?

I currently commute about 50 mins so as long as less than that all ok.

The OP has a lot of options available to him. 50 mins commute time from TST puts a large part of the NT within reach. However, he doesn't necessarily need to live in the NT if he enjoys biking / outdoors activities. Access to the 'countryside' is quick and easy from nearly everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf
    However, he doesn't necessarily need to live in the NT if he enjoys biking / outdoors activities. Access to the 'countryside' is quick and easy from nearly everywhere.
    Very true, but his housing budget will stretch a whole lot further (or he could save a lot more money )

4 main parts of HK-
    Hong Kong Island;
    Kowloon (includes TST);
    New Territories, except for the islands;
    the islands, which i'm going to leave out, since I don't know them (though someone will hopefully chime in about Lantau, at least).

so, of the other three (HK, K, NT), Kowloon is by far the worst for cycling. Cramped, flat, just nothing going on.
    HK Island seems to have some good riding, it's certainly got hills to climb.
    NT has a bunch of cycling options. Eventually you'll run out of Hong Kong to ride in, but there's, relatively speaking, a lot of options.
    Housing is much cheaper in NT than HK Island, though it wouldn't surprise me if there are more studios to be found on HK Island. NT seems to be the world of the 3-bedroom apartment. I'm sure that other posters will point out exceptions.
    If you're on the West Rail Line, you can get to East TST station without changing, and you can walk to TST station in the underground air conditioned station if you wish.
    From the East Rail Line, same thing just with one change. Those would be the options I'd suggest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast