Like Tree19Likes

Landlord demands for Salary Income proof (Bank or Tax statement)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome
    I can fully understand the LL wants to have proof of employment, but I don't think how much one exactly earns is any of the LLs business.
    I think the median rental in HK is higher than the median salary.

Are you required to pay first month, last month and security deposit? As a landlord I would find the security deposit far more important than proof of income.
    I think you are dealing with a paranoid landlord. I don't think proof of income is a reliable indicator regarding what kind of tenant you will get. I know a lot of people who earn a lot, but don't save much and vice versa.

As long as you hold the first, last and security deposit...it is in everyone's interest to make the agreement work out and the earnings of the tenant become mostly irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    if you take away public housing, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    Only if you exclude public tenants I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    if you take away public housing, yes.
    I do.

Most of my previous landlords have asked for income proof, I don't think it's a big deal at all. Makes sense from a landlord's point of view - they want to have some idea of their tenant's financial standing. Yes you can argue that income alone doesn't provide a complete financial picture, but it's better than nothing and certainly less invasive than requesting to see a bank balance.

I gave a letter of employment, never given my bank details.

Income alone is very poor predictor of credit worthiness. Debt to income ratio is far more important. So unless your landlord can verify what debt you are holding, it matters very little what your income is.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Is the property mortgaged? If yes, did you get proof from the issuer that it consents to the property being rented?
    Landlords get very pissy when you ask them for the mortgagee's consent to lease. I asked for this once and was told the LL would withdraw the offer, basically because he would need to pay HSBC an approval fee and risk the mortgage interest being increased due to reclassification as an investment property.
    shri likes this.

Find a landlord that does not ask for this perhaps.

shri likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast