Like Tree19Likes

Landlord demands for Salary Income proof (Bank or Tax statement)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Landlord demands for Salary Income proof (Bank or Tax statement)

Hi everyone, just want to gather a simple and quick poll...

Here in Hong Kong, is it a normal and proper practice for landlord to see the tenant's salary/income specific entry in either Bank or Tax statement?

Y= Yes
    N= No

------------------------------------------
    Why I asked about this? The background story:

I've been living in HK for about 6 years, in a two-bedroom flat, first in HK Island and now in Tseung Kwan O. Three of my past landlords from these different areas never asked for an
    income proof during the deal, just a business card or a company letter as proof of employment was sufficient and sometimes a short description about job during the meeting.

But just recently, I moved to bit a more pricey three-bedroom flat and during the signing, the landlord requested to see (just show them, no copy or duplicate required) my income proof. I already brought and showed them my printed HSBC bank statement-my name is there and net savings are all shown. However, I intentionally blocked off the credit/debit details part for privacy reasons.

I was surprised when that wasn't enough, what the landlord demanded to see was very
    specific-the details showing "salary or income"- amongst the part I blocked off because I
    believe it's too personal and very private information already.

In my transactions here in HK, the only department that I remembered asking for this
    specific details are either Immigration or a foreign embassy during travel and visa
    application, and I'm fine with that. But Landlords? What do you think?

So we have a very short "tug-of-war" like conversation, I say this is already too private, as I already shown my bank statement. But what surprised me and "cooled me down" is when they said that their past landlords (because they're also renting) demanded to see similar proof. So what they had experienced with their past landlords-they just apply to me basically. In the end, I showed my income specifics to them, just via my mobile phone online banking (for your eyes only thing). And all went well.

So that's it, deal was settled, I'm ready to move soon.

But the big question still rings in my head:

Here in Hong Kong, is it normal and proper for landlord to see the tenant's salary/income specific entry in either Bank or Tax statement?

Cheers and Thanks for looking!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

No.

Is the property mortgaged? If yes, did you get proof from the issuer that it consents to the property being rented?

dumbdonkey, jimbo and emx like this.

yeah I dont understand why they ask for such information. I mean like if you re an expat it's already a guarantee that you earn a minimum amount. Like they ask for business card, anyone can print fake business card it's useless info.
    My past landlord asked for my contract, new one does not care much.

It is normal for a landlord to ask but it normally isn't a deal breaker if you don't provide it. Same reason they might ask about your occupation.

Never been asked for it. Wouldn't give it.

My landlord asked for the salary and work contract when I moved in and I provided the info. I personally don't see it being too personal. In fact, showing a bank statement is much more personal to me than letting my landlord know my salary.

I own some properties in the States and it's normal practice for all tenants to submit their paystubs and the landlord to do credit and background checks on applicants before signing.

shri and madal1 like this.

I can fully understand the LL wants to have proof of employment, but I don't think how much one exactly earns is any of the LLs business.
    Personally it would be a deal breaker for me.

alph likes this.

Are you required to pay first month, last month and security deposit? As a landlord I would find the security deposit far more important than proof of income.
    I think you are dealing with a paranoid landlord. I don't think proof of income is a reliable indicator regarding what kind of tenant you will get. I know a lot of people who earn a lot, but don't save much and vice versa.

As long as you hold the first, last and security deposit...it is in everyone's interest to make the agreement work out and the earnings of the tenant become mostly irrelevant.

Original Post Deleted
    if you take away public housing, yes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast