Like Tree15Likes

High rise lift wait

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    For the most part I do exactly as you say. However, when meeting others, it always has to be 1:00..
    Try this magic sentence:

Let's have lunch as 12:30 , it's hard to get a seat at 13:00

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Try this magic sentence:

Many office drones don't have the flexibility to set their own lunch hours.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Many office drones don't have the flexibility to set their own lunch hours.
    Flexibility or mental ability? Not sure which on it is....
    BCD and hktraveller like this.

Try this magic sentence:

12:30 doesn't make a huge difference. Have to go before 12:00.

I did try asking some locals in my office to lunch at 11:30 and they looked at me like I had three ears. Of course, they usually mosey into the office around 9:30 and slurp noodles until 10:00, so I can see where they might not be hungry at 11:30.

In my office, they don't care if lunch takes 2 hours due to congestion. In fact, I think they prefer it that way.
    flameproof likes this.

Flexibility or mental ability? Not sure which on it is....
    Flexibility in my office.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    I've thought about organizing a system where odd floors in the building take lunch at 12:00 and even floors at 1:00....but then I remembered I live in Asia.
    tell me which continent you think you will be successful in achieving this?
    z754103 likes this.

The issue isn't timing of lunch, people riding up when they are going down, etc. It's that the elevators are small. In NYC people manage to live and work in high rises without there being so much chaos. Never heard of staggered lunchtimes there. Buildings in HK are designed for profit maximization, squeeze in as many flats/offices/units and keep the elevators as narrow as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    The issue isn't timing of lunch, people riding up when they are going down, etc. It's that the elevators are small. In NYC people manage to live and work in high rises without there being so much chaos. Never heard of staggered lunchtimes there. Buildings in HK are designed for profit maximization, squeeze in as many flats/offices/units and keep the elevators as narrow as possible.
    It's just my observation, but when I lived in NYC people just naturally started work, took lunches and ended work at more staggered times. Things here seem more regimented.

You might be right about the undersized elevators in some elevators. But it could also be over populated offices. Same overall problem though...greedy property developers and high rental prices.

I've seen worse in Beijing and Shenzhen...Lines 50+ meters long, every morning to get on the lifts. Crazy.
    Skierx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    tell me which continent you think you will be successful in achieving this?
    Well, there don't seem to be the same issues in Europe or most other parts of Asia for example. None of this queuing for restaurants at lunch time there. The lunchtime scrum and loitering over seated people still eating seems to be a HK phenomenon.
    Skyhook and Open Casket like this.

Luckily my office is on the 6th floor, I always take the stairs its heather and theres never a wait. At home I never have to wait much more than 30 seconds.

bookblogger likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast