Like Tree6Likes

Terminating lease on commencement day (6 months lease, 2 people)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Dear OP, did you ask the agent, are there any whore houses in this building and he said no?

Or you had no idea until you signed?
    Is that a standard question to ask? Haha

In my opinion, it is (morally) the job of the agency to inform the tenant they are renting housing units next to whore houses. Not doing so is clearly deceitful especially when there are signs on the doors indicating such.

My advise is to just walk away from the lease (as long as you are willing to lose the deposits). I highly doubt the landlord or agency would go after you for such a small sum of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    Is that a standard question to ask? Haha

In my opinion, it is (morally) the job of the agency to inform the tenant they are renting housing units next to whore houses. Not doing so is clearly deceitful especially when there are signs on the doors indicating such.

My advise is to just walk away from the lease (as long as you are willing to lose the deposits). I highly doubt the landlord or agency would go after you for such a small sum of money.
    Since when did estate agents have any moral obligations?

Is it a legal obligation for estate agents to tell you about whore houses in your building?

Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate it.

well, i think all the hustles may not be worth it.
    it's a 6 month contract. i know it sounds harsh, but everyone made mistake. now try to avoid the same mistake after you finish the 6 month contract and move to a new place.
    lesson learned and move forward. just hang on really hard not to pass thru that floor of temptation

Anyway, thanks for the helpful advice everyone.

Last edited by Otho; 12-10-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Since when did estate agents have any moral obligations?

Is it a legal obligation for estate agents to tell you about whore houses in your building?
    I never said it is a legal obligation....but I do feel that estate agents should disclose something as important as a whore house down the hall. These agents are human beings aren't they? Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't feel good withholding that kind of information from someone. Or should I take the approach that this is Hong Kong and is fair in the pursuit of the almighty dollar?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Six months go in a flash in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Six months go in a flash in Hong Kong.
    Very true. So do 6 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    Not doing so is clearly deceitful especially when there are signs on the doors indicating such.
    How could it possibly be deceitful if there were very obvious signs of it. Sheesh.

BTW: I lived in such a building 18 years ago, for 3 years. Didnt have anything to complain about. It was kept clean, tidy, no noises, no parties, no fights/drunks. If someone didnt tell you or you didnt read the signs, you would never know you were next to a number of flats of ill repute.

OP : aside from the moral outrage, what exactly are you worried about? Safety? I highly doubt you will have any issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    How could it possibly be deceitful if there were very obvious signs of it. Sheesh.
    Obvious signs? The op said chinese writing. Should the renter have assumed chinese writing was a whore house?

[/QUOTE]
    BTW: I lived in such a building 18 years ago, for 3 years. Didnt have anything to complain about. It was kept clean, tidy, no noises, no parties, no fights/drunks. If someone didnt tell you or you didnt read the signs, you would never know you were next to a number of flats of ill repute.[/QUOTE]

Glad your whore house living experience was a positive one. The ones I know of (second hand of course), have large volumes of visitors, often late at night. No one in their right mind would want to live close to that.

[/QUOTE]
    OP : aside from the moral outrage, what exactly are you worried about? Safety? I highly doubt you will have any issues. [/QUOTE]

Um, I don't know....noise, drugs, violence, smoke, ciggy butts everywhere, people coming in and out at all hours, people hanging out in the halls.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast