Like Tree6Likes

Terminating lease on commencement day (6 months lease, 2 people)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Obvious signs? The op said chinese writing. Should the renter have assumed chinese writing was a whore house?
    Thats pretty obvious to me. The renter should have asked "what are all these signs"...

Um, I don't know....noise, drugs, violence, smoke, ciggy butts everywhere, people coming in and out at all hours, people hanging out in the halls.
    Unless we are talking about about a place like Fuji building where most of the building is occupied by hookers, you will not be able to tell the difference between a regular old building and a building that has a few prozzies in it.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Otho:
    Thanks

How about agency law? I suppose there is no binding the agency to tell us that there is a place for prostitutes? My partner did ask about the mentioned floor because it looked a bit weird, and the agent said it's a tattoo shop.
    If your partner asked what operated from the mentioned floor, but was told it was a tattoo shop, then it comes down to whether the agent knowingly misled you by saying it was a tattoo shop (when in fact he knew it to be a brothel), or if it was a mistake in belief by the agent. If its obvious its a knock-knock shop then the agent will have a hard time saying it was a tattoo shop (i.e. pink lights and big neon posters).

Have you paid the deposit, if so how much? You might consider forfeiting your deposit, in which case the landlord will probably be fine, but the agent may chase you for his half month's commission. In the event they do that, you will need to say they misled you, and threaten to counterclaim against the agent for the loss deposit if they try to chase you for their commission.

Is the brothel on the same floor as you? or directly above/below? Because if not, I can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest. HK is generally very safe. You might want to check out the entrance/lifts at different times of day before making any costly decisions - if there are suspicious types loitering about, then yes, I can see your concern. But if it all looks perfectly fine except for one floor, then just move in 6 months.

jimbo likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Just think what tales you'll have to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Is the brothel on the same floor as you? or directly above/below? Because if not, I can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest. HK is generally very safe. You might want to check out the entrance/lifts at different times of day before making any costly decisions - if there are suspicious types loitering about, then yes, I can see your concern. But if it all looks perfectly fine except for one floor, then just move in 6 months.
    By "suspicious types loitering about" she means Jimbo.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Thanks for all the answers.

I contacted EAA and will file a complaint.

On another floor there's also another place dealing with prostitutes; the agent claimed it is a hotel. We found out about this today.

On the day our previous rental contract ended and we had to move in there was already one person harassing my girlfriend, thinking she's a prostitute.

Im really not a big fan of this option, but would trying to make small news be out of the question if this does not work?

Ps. Just to be accurate apparently the texts were related to prostitution not rape.

Last edited by Otho; 13-10-2015 at 09:48 PM.

whats the name of the building and what district and Ill let you know if they are brothels and how many off them there are in the building

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    By "suspicious types loitering about" she means Jimbo.
    Lol I'm a legitimate businessman collecting my dues.
    Unlike you lawyers!
    wtbhotia likes this.

is it the agent responsibility to do a check on every business in the building?

i assume most prostitutes do not take out business registrations. whoring is legal in hong kong. so technically its a hotel upstairs.

Thanks a lot, your tip on EAA also helped and they assigned someone for us to ask questions before making a complaint.

We checked it on Google by searching the address and the links were to prostitute websites. Is it possible to check this from some more official registry?

Last edited by Otho; 13-10-2015 at 10:33 PM.