Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By orrock
  • 1 Post By big_panda

Apartment hunter looking for some decent agents for Olympic area?

Smile Apartment hunter looking for some decent agents for Olympic area?

Hello fellow expats,
    I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me by recommending some good agents for properties in Olympic? I am looking at apartments in the Olympic area as its close to my husbands work. i have a couple of agents I'm liaising with (e.g. Savills, hong Kong Property and Sotherbys) but want to widen my search as so far haven't found anything suitable. There seems to be so many apartments available but its just finding the right agents.

Thank you

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You should go to estate agents' shops at Olympic; they have an actual presence there.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-10-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Claire ex-ax, I know where you mean. Will head down there today!

I have lived at silver sea, long beach and harbour green. I was actively looking last month and saw 20 properties for renting with various agents. I saw studios, 1 beds, 2 beds, 3 beds. Some had 1/4 commission, some 1/2 but negotiable. English speaking, basic.

Widening your search can be confusing. There are always more properties and adding to my search just in a way made things harder but then I found a great place in another location though not as convenient as Olympic but I was looking for something new 1-2 years old.

I also met a couple landlords and could put you in touch with them. They prefer expats.

I know who I could refer you to and who not to. There was an agent who showed me properties that I already saw with the other agent but they exaggerated the price and tried to make me feel they were on my side when they negotiated without my permission supposedly to the landlord a lower price but that price was still more than the other agent initial asking price.

shri likes this.

Hiya,
    thanks for your helpful reply. I know what you mean and it can be quite stressful and there are so many different building complexes around Olympic - I think i've been in them all now!! We did find a property for 28k and was nearing the signing stage, however, I was looking on gohome.com one evening and found the same property being advertised for $26,5k - (hate that feeling that your being ripped off!!) We lost the property in the end as the landlord accepted another offer at $28k - its hard knowing what to believe!!

Anyways, I have now found an apartment in Florient Rise which I love and can't wait to move in. I went through Island Properties who are based in WanChai and one of their consultants, based in Olympic, showed me around. They were really good, I told them my requirements and was taken to 3 suitable apartments, no time wasting.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliesimps
    We did find a property for 28k and was nearing the signing stage, however, I was looking on gohome.com one evening and found the same property being advertised for $26,5k - (hate that feeling that your being ripped off!!) We lost the property in the end as the landlord accepted another offer at $28k - its hard knowing what to believe!!
    I wouldnt rely on gohome or similar websites. Often agents set the advertised price lower as a strategy to generate interest and bids, and ads are not updated frequently. At least that has been my experience.
    shri likes this.

Nep

In my experience there are rarely exclusive agents. They all share and trade commission. I looked at 2-3 local agencies and ended up being offered the same places again and again.
    in the end we made the contract with Sotheby and are very happy with the service we got.

We were dealing with someone from Sotherbys who was British - she was great and I was a little gutted she couldn't find us anything suitable in Olympic but they deal mainly with HK island.