Like Tree16Likes

Recently moved to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OP What is your rent budget and size requirements for the flat?

I'm contemplating renting in the new development called the Avenue on Johnston Road next year, that area is getting quite a bit of gentrification at the moment and there are a lot of really good bars and restaurants within a stones throw.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm looking for a flat, 1500sqft+ gross (around 1200 usable) with 3br. I'd like it to be near the island line (5-10 min walking distance). Want it to be cheap and old, no need for facilities.

I've looked around for a bit but have not been able to find much as the size seems to be hard to find.

Any particular areas I should hit to find these larger flats?
    I know I can find these near old Civil Servant housing areas but those dont seem to be near the MTR.
    Anyone know of an area with abundance of old and big housing stock?
    Cheap as in maximum how much?

The cheapest I've stumbled across lately that fits your criteria is around the $48k-$56k mark.
    Last edited by Proplus; 02-11-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Cheap as in maximum how much?

The cheapest I've stumbled across lately that fits your criteria is around the $48k-$56k mark.
    I was hoping in the 30-40 range. 48 is way out of budget
    Facilities not important, the building is also not important.

Original Post Deleted
    Nope - still got 6 months on the lease and no indication of getting kicked out - we've been there a decade now and we love our LL and she is happy with us, but just checking out what else is out there.

If I can get something a bit bigger for similar money, I'd consider it.
    Suicides, ugly exteriors, graveyard view are all OK

I dont want to drive and have zero interest in south side....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Happy Valley, old, with crappy view. Prices on this website tend to be on the higher-than-market side.

Hong Kong Property, Apartment for Rent and for Sale - Hong Kong Property

HowardCoombs likes this.

HI all,

Thanks for all the info, we will be starting the apartment hunt tomorrow in Kennedy Town, but also going to check out the others areas!

We have an apartment in Wan Chai for a month, so hopefully will get a feel for the place while there.

What is your budget OP, that determines the area you can live in...

Last edited by Cho-man; 03-11-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    This is one of the most uninformative and misleading post I've seen.

To highlight the 3 mentioned areas in just a few words is either showing you are lazy or really don't know the areas all that well, and judging about what you wrote about Wanchai, it's most probably the latter.

As mentioned by the previous poster Wanchai is a big area. Yes there are one or two streets that are a bit seedy, but you will find a variety of living standards their; from illegally divided flats, local families who have lived there for generations to nice studio flats, serviced apartments and mid-high end apartments. Some parts of Wanchai are much older dating back that he colonial days, with some of these flats having been modernised internally and every so often these can be gems to find.

Apart from the newer plusher apartments, most of the remainder housing in Kennedy Town are much older. If you're willing to walk a little bit to the newer MTR station, rent prices are quite attractive. My best mate just recently rented an apartment approximately 700sq ft up the hill on Sands Street for $16k. It's still one of the 'upcoming' areas in which more and more expats are moving in, so that's why you'll find more Western eateries popping up amongst the more traditional local ones.

As for good deals, there's plenty about, you just need to look for them and having to will to hunt them down. Get yourself down to the areas and find one which you like the feel of. Then look for local estate agents nearby. The place I'm living in are a great deal, and I've found places for colleagues and friends in Prince Edward, Tai Hang, Causeway Bay, Kennedy Town and Soho that are great deals as well.
    Speaking of seedy areas, parts of Mongkok and Shum Shui Po are a lot worse than Wanchai...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-11-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    vmlinuz and chingleutsch like this.

Under 40k is going to be a tough one, especially on the island side and walkable distance to the MTR. Will keep my ears open to see what comes up.

HowardCoombs likes this.

What about these old industrial buildings that have (illegally?) been turned into residential apartments in Chai Wan?

Does this mean a significantly undermarket-valued property is going to become available soon?