Like Tree16Likes

Recently moved to Hong Kong

Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    This is one of the most uninformative and misleading post I've seen.

    To highlight the 3 mentioned areas in just a few words is either showing you are lazy or really don't know the areas all that well, and judging about what you wrote about Wanchai, it's most probably the latter.

    As mentioned by the previous poster Wanchai is a big area. Yes there are one or two streets that are a bit seedy, but you will find a variety of living standards their; from illegally divided flats, local families who have lived there for generations to nice studio flats, serviced apartments and mid-high end apartments. Some parts of Wanchai are much older dating back that he colonial days, with some of these flats having been modernised internally and every so often these can be gems to find.

    Apart from the newer plusher apartments, most of the remainder housing in Kennedy Town are much older. If you're willing to walk a little bit to the newer MTR station, rent prices are quite attractive. My best mate just recently rented an apartment approximately 700sq ft up the hill on Sands Street for $16k. It's still one of the 'upcoming' areas in which more and more expats are moving in, so that's why you'll find more Western eateries popping up amongst the more traditional local ones.

    As for good deals, there's plenty about, you just need to look for them and having to will to hunt them down. Get yourself down to the areas and find one which you like the feel of. Then look for local estate agents nearby. The place I'm living in are a great deal, and I've found places for colleagues and friends in Prince Edward, Tai Hang, Causeway Bay, Kennedy Town and Soho that are great deals as well.
    Hi Proplus, do you have any recommendations for real estate agents covering Soho / Central in particular? Cheers, Fab

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,888

    Just go down to the area itself and look for the local estate agents.


  3. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,888

    Howard, I just briefly saw on FB a listing for a flat in Chai Wan, a converted warehouse, 2200sq ft, 2 bedrooms for $22k. I didn't catch which street it was on.

    HowardCoombs and Elegiaque like this.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    Howard, I just briefly saw on FB a listing for a flat in Chai Wan, a converted warehouse, 2200sq ft, 2 bedrooms for $22k. I didn't catch which street it was on.
    Might not be legal though!

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Might not be legal though!
    Might have been, but the photos of the place looked very attractive. I'm unsure of the laws of HK in regards to changing of of usage for a property (warehouse to residential).

  6. #36

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    Might have been, but the photos of the place looked very attractive. I'm unsure of the laws of HK in regards to changing of of usage for a property (warehouse to residential).
    3 words. Pretty much impossible.

    If it's still listed as a factory / warehouse / commercial all utilities will be supplied at higher business rates. Plus protections such as noise nuisance don't exist as such and you may have neighbours whose business is 24 hours.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,141
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    3 words. Pretty much impossible.

    If it's still listed as a factory / warehouse / commercial all utilities will be supplied at higher business rates. Plus protections such as noise nuisance don't exist as such and you may have neighbours whose business is 24 hours.
    My biggest worry with these "conversions" is getting chucked out.
    If I was single or just 2 of us, it wont be a big issue but getting chucked out as a family with dogs etc is not something I'd be wishing to deal with.

Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4