Like Tree3Likes

House and Pet Sitting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

House and Pet Sitting

Does anyone know where I can search for House and Pet Sitting jobs in Hong Kong? I'm looking to stay in Hong Kong for a few months while my daughter attends college classes and will be working for my job back in America designing software over the internet. I can pay for the utilities but don't want to get into a lease for longer than needed and all the service apartments I find are way over any budget I would have. I have house and pet sat before but not sure of a legit site for these sort of listings for Hong Kong.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

These questions come up occasionally - what you're asking, essentially, is how you can find somewhere to live rent-free for a few months in one of the most expensive property markets in the world... I'm not sure what makes people think that's a thing that happens.

jrkob and emx like this.

https://www.pawshake.com.hk/

The problem is that people who can afford to pay rent for their pets while they're away can also afford a domestic helper who just continues to live in their home. Those who can't/don't pay for a domestic helper would probably try to move out or sublet -- rent is just too high.

What about doing a home swap?

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    What about doing a home swap?
    I don't have a home to swap or I would. We previously sold our home in the states and don't plan on staying in HK but a semester of school. I'm happy to pay rent I just thought I would check on House Sitting again first.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    https://www.pawshake.com.hk/
    The problem is that people who can afford to pay rent for their pets while they're away can also afford a domestic helper who just continues to live in their home. Those who can't/don't pay for a domestic helper would probably try to move out or sublet -- rent is just too high.
    Hello and thank you for the link. I know HK is expensive for rent. I'm just a middle class single mother American trying to give my daughter a better life than I. I don't have USD $3,000+ to drop on only rent each month. All the sites like AirBnB, VRBO, PandaBed ask way, way more than it is worth - they make more money only renting for a week or weekends and don't want to give any discounts for monthly renters. Or if it is in the right place it is absolutely horrible and I couldn't consider myself actually living in the place for months. All I keep finding is over chargers or scammers.

I would be happy to sublet but cannot take on a year lease and I haven't found anything shorter.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sgroome
    All the sites like AirBnB, VRBO, PandaBed ask way, way more than it is worth
    What it's worth is a relative concept ! Landlords here tend to rent to the highest bidder.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    will be working for my job back in America designing software
    People don't dare say it, but if you work in Hong Kong...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

What about somewhere like Urban Cube? Ultra budget room (with mini fridge and microwave) is $6,000 up for 28 days. Long enough for your daughter to settle in till you return home.

http://www.urbancube.com.hk/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast