Avg Daily Spending? Other expense?

Closed Thread

Avg Daily Spending? Other expense?

1) On average, how much do you need to spend per day in Hong Kong? Three-meals and transportation only.

2) How much is the monthly free of Internet line subscription?

3) How much is the monthly electricity bill? Apt will have nothing but a laptop computer. During the week, I will out for work, so I won't be using electricity that much.

All of your questions have been answered hundreds and hundreds of times here already. Please read and use the search function before posting.

1) Somewhere between $50 per day and $5000 per day depending on where you eat and how you travel.

2) Between $100 and $500 depending on speed, length of contract commitment and any value added services taken.

3) Somewhere between $100 and $10000 per month depending on how big the apartment is, the time of year and how much you run aircons & dehumidifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by doctortt:
    1) Apt will have nothing but a laptop computer.
    I've heard of minimalist interior design but that goes too far I think.

1) if you like fastfood and local places HKD 60 to 100 is sufficient. If you prefer to eat in IFC budget at least HKD 1000.

2) you get broadband and cable TV for HKD 200.

3) Power is pretty cheap, unless you use the aircon extensively.

1) I eat at local (really local) restaurants around my office / home in Wan Chai and get 3 meals a day for under $40. I could easily afford to spend more, it's just that having lived on the mainland for so long the local food is the only stuff that really appeals to me. I spend nothing on transport because I live five minutes from my office.

2) You can get stupidly fast broadband (1Gb/s) for a stupidly high price (a little over $2k per month), but if you're really on a budget then there are plenty of free wi-fi hot-spots all over the more populous parts of the city.

3) I open a window when it's hot, turn off everything at the wall when not in use and un-plug 'phone chargers and other such devices that continuously sap electricity. It started years ago as an experiment in money-saving but now it's just force of habit. Monthly electricity bill is normally less than $200.

Quote Originally Posted by M Khan:
    3) I open a window when it's hot, turn off everything at the wall when not in use and un-plug 'phone chargers and other such devices that continuously sap electricity. It started years ago as an experiment in money-saving but now it's just force of habit. Monthly electricity bill is normally less than $200.
    Serious?!? All those unused battery chargers lying around plugged in are using electricity? What about a hair dryer?

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    Serious?!? All those unused battery chargers lying around plugged in are using electricity? What about a hair dryer?
    Hair dryers, no. 'Phone chargers, definitely yes. Even when your mobile 'phone isn't plugged into the charger, as long as your charger is plugged into the mains electricity, it's using power. Same goes for laptop computer power supplies. I don't know about battery charger, though.

That's good to know. Thank you very much. Appreciate it. It helps me to calculate my minimum budget.

Electricity bills also vary if u Live on HK Island or Kowloon side

1) HKD100-150 daily, if not cooking.

2) HKD259

3) Typically averages HKD200-300.