Like Tree111Likes

Landlord refusing to return deposit, despite written agreement

Reply
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    221

    For those who didn't pay the last two months, how does it work in practice? Surely the landlord chases you.

    Do you tell the landlord at some point that you're not paying him? If so, at which point? Or do you literally not pay for 2 months, pack your bags and the leave?

    MandM! likes this.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehiogu:
    For those who didn't pay the last two months, how does it work in practice? Surely the landlord chases you.

    Do you tell the landlord at some point that you're not paying him? If so, at which point? Or do you literally not pay for 2 months, pack your bags and the leave?
    Told my landlords I wasn't renewing the contract, none of them chased me for the last two months. They did do an inspection at an agreed upon date to check nothing was damaged above and beyond normal wear and tear. In my case there was never an issue and keys were handed back on the last day without any issues.

    If there ever had been an issue I would have settled with the landlord for an appropriate amount. At least in this situation you are negotiating from an advantageous position rather than being potentially f*&ked over with no come-back as per the OP's case.
    arathi, TheBrit, wtbhotia and 5 others like this.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehiogu:
    For those who didn't pay the last two months, how does it work in practice? Surely the landlord chases you.

    Do you tell the landlord at some point that you're not paying him? If so, at which point? Or do you literally not pay for 2 months, pack your bags and the leave?
    You just be nice about it and tell the landlord. More of a this is what is happening. Thank you for letting me live here. Welcome to show the place the last two weeks or some crap like that. Its give and take.
    Ehiogu likes this.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    221

    Thanks. Well, that sounds a lot better than what I had envisaged.


  5. #45

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    48

    Going to add another mainland China landlord - Queen's Terrace in Sheung Wan: greedy and dishonest.

    First year of the lease gone and she start complaining about the rent - we offer to leave (two months notice, flat inspection and all) but she repeatedly sent the agent to ask not to; we stayed and big mistake was that, we are still here and keep paying for pipes and airco and toilet - she wouldn't want to pay for anything (nice flat, bad maintenance).
    Now is the gas stove - the glass top exploded with a loud noise (lucky we were not in the kitchen) and the Town gas came in and turn off the gas valve - burners too old, all too dangerouse to use but the landlady wouldn't hear any of it.

    She is now threatening that - if we do not fix it and pay for it, she will deduct the costs for the stove from our
    deposit at the end of the lease. And the end of the lease is not early then two months and a week.

    Meaning not only that we will have no possibilities of cooking for the next 9 weeks - but that we will also have to pay for the stove (as old as the building, Towngas gay says he is replacing even two per day lately)

    On a side remark - why can not make a "bad landlords of Hong Kong" list here?


  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    48

    jmbf,
    sure it cannot be that easy...?

    We should probably try the same, but don't think the landlady will ever agree,
    she is already planing the deduction!

    Last edited by arathi; 25-11-2015 at 07:21 PM.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by arathi:
    Going to add another mainland China landlord - Queen's Terrace in Sheung Wan: greedy and dishonest.

    First year of the lease gone and she start complaining about the rent - we offer to leave (two months notice, flat inspection and all) but she repeatedly sent the agent to ask not to; we stayed and big mistake was that, we are still here and keep paying for pipes and airco and toilet - she wouldn't want to pay for anything (nice flat, bad maintenance).
    Now is the gas stove - the glass top exploded with a loud noise (lucky we were not in the kitchen) and the Town gas came in and turn off the gas valve - burners too old, all too dangerouse to use but the landlady wouldn't hear any of it.

    She is now threatening that - if we do not fix it and pay for it, she will deduct the costs for the stove from our
    deposit at the end of the lease. And the end of the lease is not early then two months and a week.

    Meaning not only that we will have no possibilities of cooking for the next 9 weeks - but that we will also have to pay for the stove (as old as the building, Towngas gay says he is replacing even two per day lately)

    On a side remark - why can not make a "bad landlords of Hong Kong" list here?
    Give your notice, don't pay the last two months and find a new place.

    Did you pay for any repairs initially? The pipes or air con? Maybe she got excited when she found out she can get you to repair everything.
    arathi likes this.

  8. #48

    In some contracts there should be a clause saying you are entitled to quiet possession and enjoyment of the premise. If your gas cooker is exploding then you ain't getting it. Apart from being dangerous!


    Get a report from the gas company and send it to her using registered post and don't use the standard one but the one that has a pinkish slip and has to be signed for.

    MandM! and arathi like this.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by arathi:
    jmbf,
    sure it cannot be that easy...?

    We should probably try the same, but don't think the landlady will ever agree,
    she is already planing the deduction!
    How old is the building? I would not be paying for ANYTHING that falls under normal wear and tear usage. Unless the flat is brand new and / or you have been doing something truly stupid to damage it, the responsibility for maintaining appliances is the landlord's.

    Without the full story it's hard to give more detailed advice but from the information given it does sound like your landlord is an ass. If I were you I would find a new place and issue notice to the landlord ASAP. I would NOT pay the remaining months rent and I would NOT pay for any new appliances etc etc.
    Last edited by jmbf; 25-11-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    arathi likes this.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Give your notice, don't pay the last two months and find a new place.

    Did you pay for any repairs initially? The pipes or air con? Maybe she got excited when she found out she can get you to repair everything.
    Already looking around for a new lease, thanks; and yes, we "chipped" in for the air con and cover half of the huge pipes deal she made it with a con plumber - talking about several thousands, aside for other small repairs in our responsibilities.
    We probably pay a slightly under the market rent right now
    but I'm tired to feel guilty for that
    Last edited by arathi; 26-11-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Reply
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast