Like Tree2Likes

Small House Application

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    25

    Small House Application

    Can anyone tell me how too apply for a 'Small House' in the New Territories? It appears the Lands Department has taken down the information on their website whilst it's being updated:

    Lands Department - Practice Notes, Circulars, Publications, Press Releases, LegCo Matters and Government Notices

    I'm a 'Ding' or Indigenous Villager. Up until the 1980's or so, we had a clan / ancestral grave, built on land a relative owned (he has since died). At some point the government wanted to develop the area and the graves were exhumed.

    I think the first step is to get some sort of written confirmation I'm a Ding. How do I do that and who should I talk to? Then the next step is to buy a piece of private land in the right area. Finally apply to the Lands Department. Is that the correct order?

    Thanks for any help!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    -
    Posts
    1,662

    Your village head should be the right person to talk to


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,207

    Yup speak to the village head.
    He'll probably insist you use the builders which he's associated with so he'll get a few $$$ out of it.

    And get yourself a good solicitor who knows about dings to handle the necessary paperwork.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Yup speak to the village head.
    He'll probably insist you use the builders which he's associated with so he'll get a few $$$ out of it.

    And get yourself a good solicitor who knows about dings to handle the necessary paperwork.
    Which law firms are specialists in this ?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master
    Your village head should be the right person to talk to
    In practical terms, how do I find / contact him? Everyone moved overseas in the 50's and 60's. Those first generation have now died and I'm a returnee. No relatives live in the village anymore.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,265
    Quote Originally Posted by rghslk380
    In practical terms, how do I find / contact him? Everyone moved overseas in the 50's and 60's. Those first generation have now died and I'm a returnee. No relatives live in the village anymore.
    please confirm your village name and you can find the village elected head on government site

    are you in uk /overseas or based in hk, or will you visit hk? if you can't speak cantonese or hakka, it's not gonna be a easy process and you may have to pay extra

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    please confirm your village name and you can find the village elected head on government site

    are you in uk /overseas or based in hk, or will you visit hk? if you can't speak cantonese or hakka, it's not gonna be a easy process and you may have to pay extra
    Yes I see it on the website, but there are no contact details.

    I am in Hong Kong, speak Cantonese. And so the next step is?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,265
    Quote Originally Posted by rghslk380
    Yes I see it on the website, but there are no contact details.

    I am in Hong Kong, speak Cantonese. And so the next step is?
    maybe, revealing your village name?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    maybe, revealing your village name?
    If it matters, the area is now quite developed with high rises. So no prospect of wandering around a small village looking for the representative.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,265

    so in that case, you may have a ancestral rights ( ??) however, you obviously won't have the land as it was purchased by the government or developer some time ago.


Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast