Like Tree22Likes

deciding where to live and work

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yeah highly doubt any jobs in Tuen Mun / Yuen Long area. Most likely looking at Science Park, Cyberport, Central, Wan Chai, Quarry Bay. And who knows what salary you would get, most local grads get a very low starting salary. And given you are asian, you will be expected to stay late at work, many stay till 8-9pm and some even overnight depending how much work is needed to be done. Would be much better if you moved overseas like the other guy said.

Wow! Someone who owns multiple properties is eligible for public housing??? Sounds like your whole family is milking the system. Stop it. I know in Chinese culture the focus is all on family (getting ahead), not society, but...wow. This post was nauseating to read...

MandM!, East_coast, jimbo and 1 others like this.

That's why grandma used the boys name. Probably divorced just to get an extra flat too. And the locals wonder why there isn't enough housing. This family is using it for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    That's why grandma used the boys name. Probably divorced just to get an extra flat too. And the locals wonder why there isn't enough housing. This family is using it for storage.
    My grandpa didn't put my grandma name on his flat even they lived together. After he passed away, half of the ownership went to my Dad and it become the unit that I currently live in. Moreover, as the flat does not have my grandma's name on it, my grandma is eligible for public housing, and she added my name into the application.

Most importantly: I want to find a job which allows me to have regular sleep time of 10-12 hours per day. Should I apply for a government job instead, giving up all my possible future career?
    Last edited by Michael Tsang; 15-11-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang

Most importantly: I want to find a job which allows me to have regular sleep time of 10-12 hours per day. Should I apply for a government job instead, giving up all my possible future career?
    Are you serious?

You want a career and 10-12 hrs of sleep?
    It's not going to happen unless you work nights as a security guard and sleep on the job.

You're going to need to live in the real world, if you want a career then be prepared to work and do some extra curricular courses to further your career.
    MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Are you serious?

You want a career and 10-12 hrs of sleep?
    It's not going to happen unless you work nights as a security guard and sleep on the job.

You're going to need to live in the real world, if you want a career then be prepared to work and do some extra curricular courses to further your career.
    10 hours sleep doesn't preclude a career jimbo.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    10 hours sleep doesn't preclude a career jimbo.
    It does at junior level with the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    It does at junior level with the locals.
    Depends on the firm. Going go bed at 9:30 and getting up at 7:30 isn't a pipe dream la. It's easily possible.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Depends on the firm. Going go bed at 9:30 and getting up at 7:30 isn't a pipe dream la. It's easily possible.
    Initially maybe but if he wants to get ahead in his career and start taking evening classes etc then it's not going to happen.

I truly recommend the OP get a summer intern job to get a feel of how the real world works, especially here in Hong Kong.

I do have my suspicions that the OP is a troll, from what he describes himself as, why ask these questions on an expat forum?

MandM!, Elegiaque and hullexile like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast