Like Tree20Likes

Low floor with terrace apartment, advantages/disadvantages?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Low floor with terrace apartment, advantages/disadvantages?

I'd like to get some input from anyone who has stayed at a low floor with an open terrace. I was shown two apartments today, one on the second floor and the other on the fourth floor, each with a good sized open floor terrace. The terrace on the first building went around the side and front of the apartment was almost as big as the 350sq ft apartment itself which I found to be a plus.

Both are away from main roads but there are lots of shops and restaurants in the area so I'm assuming there will be some noise related to those businesses like early morning or late night deliveries.

Other things like rubbish from other floors, drainage when it rains, or anything else I should know about living in these type apartments. The first apartment with the larger terrace is mostly covered but there is a large portion of it that is open. I don't know if living there means I will regularly have to clean trash thrown out of higher floors from the roof of the covered area or that sort of thing.

Be prepared for noise and lots of it and yes you will get rubbish dropping down onto your balcony.

People throw trash out their windows?! I've seen the trash in the streets and trash in the seas... but coming from residential buildings?

You will definitely get trash thrown down from higher floors. I lived on a low floor with open balcony for 5 years and you wouldn't believe the things that were thrown down. Many children think their toys can fly and throw them out the window. I got calls from our doorman saying the parents want me to return their kids toys that were thrown down. I also got a lot of clothing that dropped down when people were trying to dry their clothes by hanging from their window. I always get multiple pieces of clothing during typhoons. Some weirder things I picked up were mops and brooms, and the worst thing that was ever dropped down was a used condom. Also, I had to pick up tons of cigarette butts. One other thing I hated about living in a low floor apartment was dealing with the cockroaches. I would see one in my apartment at least on a weekly basis, and they say for every one you see there are 20 more you didn't see. Now that I live on a high floor, I haven't seen any.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    People throw trash out their windows?! I've seen the trash in the streets and trash in the seas... but coming from residential buildings?
    A friend had plenty of chicken bones fall on a covered balcony. The last straw was the lit cigarette.
    -1983- and bookblogger like this.

We have friends with a terrace, expect lots of rubbish thrown / dropped from above - especially cigarette butts.

-1983- and hongkong7 like this.

Jesus $*@(&$ Christ, why can't people learn to use ashtrays!. I get the same thing ocassionally on my 10th floor apartment in the area that sticks out where people can put up plants. Also had the used condom happen to the next door apartment sometime last year.

You will definitely get trash thrown down from higher floors. I lived on a low floor with open balcony for 5 years and you wouldn't believe the things that were thrown down.

Also, I had to pick up tons of cigarette butts. One other thing I hated about living in a low floor apartment was dealing with the cockroaches.
    Was the trash something you had to do frequently or did it build up every few weeks?
    The place seemed pretty clean today, the neighboring flats too which are occupied but I was only there for 10 minutes or so mostly admiring the open space and trying to figure out in my head where the washing machine might go.

Actually the first apartment I mentioned is in one of those buildings where the bottom two floors are occupied by businesses, this one happened to have a sushi restaurant and korean bbq below it just one floor down. The entrances are different but it's the same building. I don't think I'll be able to deal with the exhaust from the restaurant so close to where I live on a daily basis.

One other thing about these places is that I do often pass by them on the bus and I used to work near a place that had them. I never saw people out there. There were plants and toys and stuff but nobody ever seemed to use the area. I would think that people would want to make use of the extra space but I guess it's one of those things where the novelty wears off after a while and it's just another space to clean up.

used to live in one... I think a used tampon was probably the thing that made me wonder why the most...

actually a lot of tissues too,,

filthy people.

we also had one with a roof over - but the noise of the buses was horrible out there... and hot too...

so glad I'm out the city...

Used condoms? Really? I think I would move out the next day...

One thing I that happened just this week with me was a halfway rolled up sanitary napkin floating down from the floors above was blown in through my living room window by the breeze that flows through my apartment. I was passing by the living room when it happened so I was able to get rid of it right away, didn't have time to check it in detail but I think that's about as bad or worse than the used condom hanging on the neighbors clothes line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast