Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hongkong7

Finding a host family in Hong Kong

Finding a host family in Hong Kong

Hi there!

I am a Dutch male student who will be doing my graduation internship in Hong Kong starting from February 2016. Currently hoping to find affordable accommodation. I thought, why not find a host family? I do not mind helping out at home as I am a rather clean and organized person myself and rather silent so I do not bother anyone. But the question is.. where would I find such a host family? Could anyone give me some advise?

Thank you!

Send you a pm

there's a website where you can find host families from different countries..
    it's called couch surfing

Why not live in the new territories, you can get affordable apartment for less than 500 euros (hkd4500) and live in your own, if you don't mind travelling on train or bus for an hour

Homework tutors and English tutors here are very expensive . You could market yourself by agreeing to assist with English homework and tutoring say for a certain number of hours a day say 2 as part of your homestay . That would make you attractive to local families in particular . Local students studying math and science is done in Chinese by the way so English tutoring of your host would be your better practical option for subject . Almost all local schoolkids do significant amount of after school tutoring . I would assume you can advertise for host family on the Web site of your university etc . If you can get someone do do a Chinese language post you will get a lot more replies

Last edited by hongkong7; 24-12-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    shri and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    Why not live in the new territories, you can get affordable apartment for less than 500 euros (hkd4500) and live in your own, if you don't mind travelling on train or bus for an hour
    Thank you for this suggestion. I do not mind to live in N.T., I actually would prefer that. But, where would I need to look for an apartment? Is there a website or agency that you could recommend? Thank you

This is what the apartment sharing market looks like:
    Rooms for Rent Hong Kong - Hong Kong Room Rental - Rent a Room in Hong Kong