Like Tree62Likes

Getting kicked out because I

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

The ban on subletting is a pretty standard clause found in most HK tenancy agreements. How did you not realize that in the first place, OP?

I understand guys, I did a mistake and I'm not trying to find any excuse. This is on me.

I'm just trying to find a way out here. I cannot afford to lose 2 month of deposit

bookblogger likes this.

My view is, deposit can only be kept by LL when there are damages to the property or there is a break lease.
    There is a break lease because of own negligence, but from what I hear, lease was up next month anyway.
    So if the landlord keeps one month lease, I would swallow the loss. If he tried to keep full deposit, I'd go to small claims court.

My presumption: LL hopes he/she can rent out for a higher rate and tries to get you out.

shri likes this.

That's very possible.

I got an fabulous deal on this apartment thanks to my estate agent, and now I feel that the LL is trying to find excuses to kick me out (for instance my bank made a mistake and delayed the paiement of my rent of 2 days, and he threatened me to held me financially accountable for this mistake, even if the agreement said that I had 7 days from the due day before the LL could take appropriate action).

I'm trying to tone things down with the LL, but if it does not work I think I'll go to small court. Good advice.

I still have the key of the apartment and I'm not giving them back as long as we don't have a deal (but the LL still has an extra pair of keys so he could change the lock...).

You didn't change the lock when you moved in?

MandM! likes this.

I moved in 3 months ago and it was supposed to be very short term so I didn't change the lock (and I didn't even know this was something I could have done ).

Check your agreement, I assume the LL needs to give you one month notice to terminate the lease

he can't take your deposit unless you damaged the flat

Kicking him out hoping to rent out the apartment for a higher price is out of the question since rents have dropped significantly the last 2 months. Or the landlord is someone who is not up to date.

Morrison likes this.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast