Like Tree2Likes

rental contract

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rental contract

I am moving to Hong Kong temporarily for 5 months starting from the beginning of January. I just found a place through the classfied ad section here and am about to sign a contract. The place is advertised by the owner. I am about to sign a contract without seeing the place or the owner. Is there anything I need to be careful about? The owner gave me a hand-written contract that specifies the names and HK id numbers of her (or her husband) and myself, the address of the place, the duration of the contract, and the monthly rent, and that the deposit will be returned to me after I return the apartment intact. Is there anything else I need written into the contract? I remember having to pay stamp duty for my rental contract when I lived in Hong Kong before. I think the contract got certified by the government. Do I need the owner to do the same or is it not necessary?

Thank you so much for your help!

Melody

Don't hand over any money.

jimbo likes this.

Why would you want to sign up to a place without having seen it? I'd do that if it was a serviced apartment run by a corporate or chain, but not for a rental flat from a stranger.

Do not even entertain the idea of doing this

Do a Google search of the interior pics if you have any, chances are it'll be taken from Airbnb etc

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Never for a property unseen.

Thanks for the input! I didn't know taking a property sight unseen is such a problem! So the photos may be fake? An unfurnished interior would be more real then?

The photos may be fake, there may be a building site next door making your life a misery, so many things could be wrong with it. It is probably fine but it is a risk that I would not take.

Also there is the risk the owner is not the owner at all and will disappear as soon as you transfered the deposit to him. Since you are not familiar with HK you'd better use the service of an real estate agent who will do his due diligence. You will have to pay half a month rent for his service. Or rent a serviced apartment since you will be staying in HK for only 5 months.

Last edited by Drunken Master; 19-12-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks for the inputs! We decided to wait until we arrive.

chingleutsch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast