Need Info on Kowloon Tong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Info on Kowloon Tong

I hope someone can help me. My company is going to send me to HK for a 2-3 yr tour. They have strongly suggested Kowloon Tong area. Can anyone tell me anything about it.

I will be bringing my wife (she will not work) and our 3 yr old son. Is there stuff to keep them busy? Are there other stay at home mom's in this area? Is this a good or just average area for mom and kiddie to get out and shop or play?

Also, how is the housing in this area? Old and run down or generally kept up? Is it mostly high rises / low rises / mix?

Compared to Discovery Bay, is it better or worse and why? DB was our original first choice because we thought we could experience HK but still draw back into western type world if we wanted. But we are starting to wonder about the transportation issues, logistics for grocery shopping, etc. and we're starting to think that maybe we need to look at a second option. Since the company is steering towards Kowloon Tong we want to give it an honest look.

I only want opinions so don't be bashful. HK island is out of question so I'm not even going to look at Pok Fu Lam even though I understand it is also a good family location. Thanks for all your help. See ya soon.

Kowloon Tong has:

- A large shopping mall (Festival Walk) with a couple of large supermarkets
    - mixed, high end housing
    - both MTR and KCR stations (tube systems)
    - not a great family environment
    - best schools in Hong Kong
    - upmarket area of Kowloon
    - not a stay at home mom environment

cheers,
    John

Personally, I love Kowloon Tong as an area - I live on the edge of it at Fa Hui (the flower market). Low rise buildings, tree lined streets (imagine), Festival Walk beats Pacific Place in my book (except for great and being near Central). Taste is the Great competitor...owned by the same company and doing very well at Festival Walk. Enormous Page One bookstore. Luvit.

A critical concern would be where your office will be. Regardelss, it is pretty easy for the commuter here--public transport is amazing. f your wife will not be needing to be on the MTR with the little one during rush hour, it won't be too big a problem to get around for her. But, she may need to get over to HK Island (13 minutes by MTR) to find activites involving kids. Though, I have heard that the YMCA at Tsim Sha Tsui is great and that is very conveniently located off the MTR. There are some playing fields below Kowloon Tong along Boundary, nice park, the Bird Market and Flower Market are a pleasant walk (15-20 minutes). The Bird Market would be endlessly fascinating for a kid, and proximity to the Flower Market has helped me cope with the loss of extensive gardens in Canada.

Good luck!
    JJ

Wink Need Info on Kowloon Tong

How odd, I just logged on to do a search on Kowloon Tong and this thread was the first I saw!

I am also considering the area but for different reasons. I am planning to send my children to the Aussie International school there, as the facilities are excellent.

I had a wander through the shopping centre today and liked the little ice rink and cinema in it also.

The area does not seem to be very build up either and had an open feel to it.

Can anyone suggest any buildings in particular esp one with pool?

Also why do you not think it is suitable for a stay-at-home mom? Are there very few other foreigners to talk with or little to do?

Hottie

Thanks for the responses! Every bit of feedback helps. I am curious, JAherbert, why you consider this area to not be good for family and not for stay at home mom.

Also, like hottie, I am interested to know of particular estates/buildings that anyone might suggest. A pool would be nice but not a deal breaker. Also would be nice if it was close to MTR station at Festival Walk.

Thanks,
    flyroy

Besides tree lined streets JJ mentioned, there is the city university, the mall, numerous Kindergardens nestled against countless rent by hour love hotels.....

just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    ..countless rent by hour love hotels..
    Even Bruce Lee's former house in Kowloon Tong has been transformed into a love hotel

I just saw this thread. We just rented an apartment in Kowloon Tong. I work in Shatin and we wanted something close my work (KCR/MTR is 5 minutes away), close to schools for my son, and close to central.

You might want to try Dynasty Heights. Because we're not driving a car, the landlord took off $4K from the rent. It has a pool and all that stuff.

My wife is stay at home mom (15 month at home), and after looking at 30+ places (from Tai Po to Central) she like Kowloon Tong the best.

Thanks for all the info. Dynasty Heights looks like a promising place to live, at least by the map. We have also been looking at Parc Oasis. Anybody know something about this complex or better yet live there?

As for the love hotels...as long as they keep the love in hotel I'm OK with it. I don't want to be offered love every time I walk by with my son and wife though. That would be annoying.

Why not try somewhere slightly further afield...like Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay...(I really believe that littel extra time is worth it). I moved to Sai Kung (from Pok Fu Lam) a year ago and LOVE it. We moved 'cos of having kids, a 2 and a half and a six month old. Lucky enough to live in a house now. Wanted cleaner air and less mayhem and traffic. It is green here, mountainous, beautiful country park, close to the water (great if you like sailing), the shopping area is like a local village...shopkeepers are friendly...Personally I wouldn't want to live in Kowloon Tong, as very built up with tower blocks and I think I'd feel anonymous...(And without friends it'd take a while to feel at home I think...you wanted people to be blunt / honest in their replies..) But the facilities and amenities are excellent. I guess one can't have everything...My kids are set to go to Aussie International School in Kowloon Tong so we'll worry about the travel later but I'm told it's not a headache from Sai Kung.........and of course the school lays on private bus etc...(another little extra to cover!) P.S. When you guys arrive, let us know and we can all hook up!

Last edited by wanchaibelle; 01-05-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast