Getting Your Company to Pay Your Rent . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Someone had said in another thread that your housing allowance would count as taxable income in the United States.

That would be excellent news if that information was incorrect!!

I can't recall the details, but I believe it is taxed at a lower rate? I'm foggy this morning. I know we talked to deloitte about this and there is some benefit, I am just not sure what it is. I do remember that it is only up to a certain amount, and only on what you actually spend on housing and utilities.

>> Is this essentially the same thing then?

As long as the rental payment is seperately accounted and reported to the Inland Revenue, you'll get a tax benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    In HK the effect, if your employer does the necessary paperwork, is that you would be taxed on an income of $44K ($40K*110%) rather than $50K.
    Hello all,

Sorry to dig up this old thread (i didn't find any recent thread more appropriate than this one) but i would like to know what "paperwork" the company has to do toward the IRD or to myself so that i can prove/claim that i am eligible to the 10% increase (only) on top of my salary (instead of the full rental addition).

I also tried to find the information on the IRD website but I couldn't get anything related to this matter.

My employment contract specifies that the company will provide me an apartment without any mention of "housing allowance" but i guess that it doesn't make any difference for the IRD and that i am subject to pay tax for that benefit.
    Can anyone confirm ?

(and about the risk that the company provides me a down-grade apartment, it's null as i am doing the research by myself and also with the head of the company)
    Last edited by Chiron43; 25-08-2011 at 04:47 PM.

They basically have to oversight your rental agreement. It's not particularly onerous.

All the info you need is in this document: http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/pdf/pam44e.pdf

M07 : if the contract is made between the landlord and myself, then ok > my employer needs to oversight
    But do you imply that the contract can not be made between the landlord and my employer ?

PDLM : thanks that's exactly the pdf i was looking for on their website and couldn't find.
    As usual in this kind of document i am not catching all what they say in their juridic language but they have been smart/kind enough to provide clear examples ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron43:
    M07 : if the contract is made between the landlord and myself, then ok > my employer needs to oversight
    But do you imply that the contract can not be made between the landlord and my employer ?

PDLM : thanks that's exactly the pdf i was looking for on their website and couldn't find.
    As usual in this kind of document i am not catching all what they say in their juridic language but they have been smart/kind enough to provide clear examples ^^
    Yes of course the contract can be between the company and the landlord.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2