Apartment Hunting Advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apartment Hunting Advice

Hi there,
    Does anyone have some apartment hunting / real estate agent tips? (I have tried gohome.com.hk as suggested by many on this site which has been very helpful)
    I am coming over in a couple of days to meet with my prospective employer and want to check out some real estate while I am over your way. Does anyone know a friendly real estate agent who would show me around a few places? Or is that not how it happens in HK?
    I am looking for a 2 - 3 bedroom apartment with a bit of space (ha ha) for my toddler to run around in and some gym/pool amenities. Budget is probably an issue we are looking at $30 - $40,000 if possible.
    Rent with plans to buy later.
    Thanks in advance for your insights!
    VK.

Email the agents that list in our classifieds directory ... Sallmans and Knight Frank. Both of them are top notch in the 30-40K range.

Thanks! I will get onto them now. Are they likely to take me around a couple of locations if I don't have a car and have no idea where anything outside Central, Causeway Bay, ferry terminals & good shopping is? (the extent of previous visits I am afraid)

Discovery Bay

Hello VK:

Welcome to HK.

On ur post,you mention having a toddler. You may want to include Discovery Bay on your list of places to visit. Good expat community, easy to make friends. Also great place for kids, with lots of activities, playgroups, schools, parks etc... It is easy to find an 2/3 bdrm apt. w/ terrace or even garden within your budget. This place also has 2 Residents clubs with great swimming pools, playrooms etc... Just another option to keep in mind. If you need more info, just email me at <snip>

Last edited by KnowItAll; 19-04-2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Removed email address

Db, Removed your email address. We do not allow users to post their email addresses. Protects everyone concerned.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Discovery Bay. Our little girl is used to running around in an Australian size back yard so somewhere like this might make her feel more at home!

from Sallmanns

Hey there,
    just reading through your conversation and saw that we had been recommended so I thought i'd drop you a line! We would be more than happy to assist you with your home search and relocation. We also have a lady who covers Discovery Bay, Carol Gahan. if you haven't already, you can check our website www.sallmannsres.com and you can email us via the website. Unfortunately I probably won't be here in Hk when you arrive otherwise I'd help you myself, but any of my colleagues would be delighted to show you around and answer any queries you may have.
    Good luck! Sonia

Thanks Sallmans. i have dropped an email via your website and look forward to hearing back soon!
    Thanks for the advice and replies. I just can't wait to find my new home.

Found my lovely flat thru "at home in hong kong"

Hi,

When I moved to HK, and found my lovely apartment, it was through a company call "athomeinHongKong" and their service was exellent, all staffed by expats, with relocation advices on areas, schools, etc. You can check them out at www.athomeinhongkong.com

Regards.

While rents are up 20%+ in the last 6-12 months, your budget of 30-40K should be sufficient to get something with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Agents should take you around in their own vehicles or in taxis if the units are far away from one another. If you choose to visit Happy Valley and the units are a few minutes walk away, then walking may be an option as well. In any event, they should pick you up. Don't settle for less. Their commission is one month's rent (usually half paid by you and half paid by the landlord).

Remember that the agent does not really work for you, so it is up to you to negotiate for a free month, furniture allowance, etc. with the landlord. After you sign your lease, you may never hear from your agent again.

Simple things like making sure all the light fixtures work, the bathroom flushes cleanly, the hot water heater heats enough water for a long shower, the A/Cs work and don't make too much noise, and the ventilator in the kitchen is strong enough shouldnt be a problem in newer developments, but you never know until you try them out yourself....

If you are in town during a Wednesday, be sure to pick up the South China Morning Post which has a weekly Property Section.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast