Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Need recommendation for Good Agent

Question Need recommendation for Good Agent

Hi All,

I am looking to move to the Kowloon side and quite flexible on location : from Meifoo to Olympic Station to Jordan to Diamond Hill. What I am struggling to find is an agent that would really listen to you and help showing me the apartments that fit the criteria.

Already met two local agents from large firms both tried to sell me apartments or reject the area of building that I feel may be suitable. I suspect they are incentivised to peddle their own stock rather than sharing the comission with others. I've also noted higher rental prices quoted higher just because I speak English.

Any recommendation for a good agent that knows the Kowloon area would be appreciate, thank you.

David

Quote Originally Posted by austrider
    I am looking to move to the Kowloon side and quite flexible on location : from Meifoo to Olympic Station to Jordan to Diamond Hill. What I am struggling to find is an agent that would really listen to you and help showing me the apartments that fit the criteria.
    Usually agent working in particular area would show you flats in that area only and they may not even have much knowledge/availability of flats in other area. Better select your area and find local agent there..

Quote Originally Posted by austrider
    Already met two local agents from large firms both tried to sell me apartments or reject the area of building that I feel may be suitable. I suspect they are incentivised to peddle their own stock rather than sharing the comission with others. I've also noted higher rental prices quoted higher just because I speak English.
    You are in HK long enough to know that is the reality. You may try smaller agent who is more desperate or even try agents from big firms but little specific requirement. Most of them will try to peddle their own stock, you can politely decline you cant afford to buy anything.. Sometimes large firms have more show-flats than smaller one so usually i pick one from each and see how they respond.

Might want to read this thread - how to deal with agents.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/61/thread337891.html

You're not necessarily hearing higher prices because you speak English. Because you speak English the agents assume you want a newer or newly renovated flat. Whereas the local flats at the low-end you shower over your toilet and have 4 cement walls. So find a budget, realise the price per square foot to rent and go from there. On HK side it used to be $50 per square foot and kowloon I think would be $30-40 per square foot, and that's for something in good shape. You can also use centadata to check the large estates and see the recent rental prices to have an idea of price per sq ft and go from there. Ignore the asking price, you can make an offer on what the fair market is and depending how bad you want a particular flat, if not, every building has several of the same flat available for rental, the next agent you move on to!

shri likes this.

Agree but I think I did not elaborate well. The agent showed me an apartment quoting $22k - later I found out it was listed online on their website at $19k!! Not sure the reason and just purely my speculation regarding language.

Thanks for the suggestions - appreciated.

22k is probably the asking price and 19k is the lowest price. That agent may likely say they can get you a discount if you decide to go through with it. Highly unlikely a flat would rent at asking price and most expect a discount. Two sides of the story. Low price generates enquiry, then high price gives room for negotiation to close the deal.

Thanks Shrl - I read that which promopted me to make this post.

It was a useful thread and good read so highly recommend anyone else having similar HK accomodation needs to read that discussion.

My conclusion is that if I am paying an agent the commission to find me a suitable apartment and negotiate with the landlord, I might as well find a good one and stick with him/her. Which is why I am seeking recommendation for good agents in the Kowloon area.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    Usually agent working in particular area would show you flats in that area only and they may not even have much knowledge/availability of flats in other area. Better select your area and find local agent there..
    Fair point and thanks for the feedback. I was wishing there are agents out there that knows some of the popular Kowloon areas well, which saves me the hassle to engage individual local agents in each locality.

Having said that - the "local agent" I interacted with seems to be only interested in their own stock, so even that approach have hit and misses.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    22k is probably the asking price and 19k is the lowest price. That agent may likely say they can get you a discount if you decide to go through with it. Highly unlikely a flat would rent at asking price and most expect a discount. Two sides of the story. Low price generates enquiry, then high price gives room for negotiation to close the deal.
    Thanks and agree - and that's what I expected as common practice. However what I did NOT expect is a face to face quotation explictly exceed their own firm's online advertised price. This is like walking into a car showroom being quoted a price for a car by a sales when the car showroom company's website advertised the car for 15% less already. Ok enough of car salesman analogy to real estate agents. :P