Like Tree2Likes

Can bring landlord to criminal case, if intentionally avoiding talks while not refunding the whole without details?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

66k as a deposit, there is sumting Wong with you.

Exactly, I don't know why so many people come on here and assert criminal and police. This is not a police matter and not a criminal offense.

Small claims court under 50k. No lawyer is allowed. The landlord can fake damages to lower his responsibility and any judgement is not enforceable. It's merely a piece of paper that says he owes you money.

Over 50k you might be spending 50k on attorney fees and who knows if you can collect the winnings.

It's really your fault for paying the last two months rent. There are no exceptions. People don't return the key without a cash refund of their deposit. Once you return the key, it's basically a done deal. No further discussions are needed.

People have been advised not to return the key until they get the rental deposit back.
    What is the legal position? If the tenant refuses to hand over the possession, , then legally he/she is bound to pay the rent till the time possession is handed over to the landlord.?

Yes, I believe so.

Yes. At least my contract mentioned so..

Correct. It's being treated as "arrears" and recoverable by the landlord (along with his/her legal fees associated with this exercise) through the Lands Tribunal. No minimum amount required to file, and the landlord need not seek repossession to be entitled to the arrears. Meaning arrears are due even if the tenant eventually vacates.

Usually the landlord doesn't want the trouble. So easy to get the deposit back immediately so the landlord can lease again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2