Like Tree27Likes

Which flat to choose?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    The club thing that goes on in Hong Kong still spins me out a bit in regard to cost, because clubs here are more about status or segregation from the poor masses, they aren't embracing of the community at large or accessible to all walks of life.

Your post reminded me that my $130AUS annual membership fee to Home - Veneto Club is due in May, which I always pop in when I am in town, which is always nice and welcoming, with a big sense of community, thanks to a vibrant collection of demographics, not just 'professionals'....

Don't you get tired of this Hong Kong club rubbish, some of these clubs have a Billion or more in surplus funds ie The American club for example...It's just disgusting when just under a million people in this town live in abject poverty.
    I'm not sure what clubs you think I am referring to but there are many that have great facilities and are not too expensive. Parkview has a great club. Last time I checked it only cost HKD40k to join, plus they allow outsiders to join in lessons as well. South China is even cheaper (something like HKD86, I haven't checked recently). Then there are those community clubs where people that live in the neighbourhood can join and are not too expensive - eg Jardine's Lookout Residents Association, Kowloon Tong Residents' Association. Also, I am sure you will meet many other friends that live in complexes that have clubs that allow guests for small fee.

There is this little play club in Wan Chai across from PP3 - can't remember the name but they teach music - costs like $60 to let your kids play there (great big indoor treehouse). Also, there is a little paid play area behind the Rose Something restaurant on Caine Road.
    Last edited by threelittlepigs; 03-04-2016 at 10:27 PM.
    Open Casket likes this.

If you live near a park you could take the kids there. E.g. Victoria Park has playgrounds.

Open Casket and Lord Dashwood like this.

The one with facilities is a nice flat but the bathrooms/kitchen haven't been renovated since the 1980s. Rest of the flat in great condition. So average overall. Would those favoring facilities still take it?

Mamba

Average flat with amazing facilities.

As long as the vibe in the flat was still good, i.e. I could make it homey and happy, then I'd go for the facilities every time.

Especially with a little one.

The convenience of being able to go to the pool or playground RIGHT THERE is priceless.

Have lived in places where you have a 15 min walk to the park or a 20 min walk to the beach and yes they're close by but in reality having a bubba can sometimes make that 15 mins feel like an interminable battle with the universe. Compare that to getting in lift and going downstairs. Wish I'd had it all on my doorstep when mine was little.

TheBrit and Lord Dashwood like this.

Kids under 10 : take the facilities
    Kids over 10 : take the bigger flat

I've lived in many different types of housing and answering as a parent with young kids I would choose a larger/better flat with no facilities -- provided you have a car (which I consider almost a must with young kids). I prefer low rise, low density housing with larger bedrooms/kitchens etc.

There are plenty of clubs to join, plenty of playgrounds, plenty of public pools and gyms. And like I said, if you have a car, just drive on over. Easy.

Skyhook likes this.

Mamba

And if you don't have a car you struggle with the pram, the bags, and the kids in the heat and crowds.

Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    The one with facilities is a nice flat but the bathrooms/kitchen haven't been renovated since the 1980s. Rest of the flat in great condition. So average overall. Would those favoring facilities still take it?
    If you offered to renovate the bathrooms it does not cost that much assuming you use budget toilets and sinks. Can negotiate to share the costs with the landlord. Or speak to the landlord and offer to bump up the rent a little to compensate him for the cost if he wanted to do it himself. Can just keep the existing tiles as that can be expensive to rip out and replace - a good cleaning will help too.
    merchantms and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master
    If you live near a park you could take the kids there. E.g. Victoria Park has playgrounds.
    Take kids to a park? Are you crazy? :-)

Hong Kong is about compromise

Either live very close or on hk island, but expect smaller apartment while every thing is conveniently close, parking is very expensive

Or

Live slightly further out, bigger apartment, clubhouse, etc parking is cheap, still close enough to commute to work is short period of time

Or the other extreme, live in a rural house, very large house, car parking is very cheap. Lots of greenery,but every thing is not so convenient, distance to work is far

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast