Like Tree27Likes

Which flat to choose?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mamba

And if you don't have a car you struggle with the pram, the bags, and the kids in the heat and crowds.

Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    The one with facilities is a nice flat but the bathrooms/kitchen haven't been renovated since the 1980s. Rest of the flat in great condition. So average overall. Would those favoring facilities still take it?
    If you offered to renovate the bathrooms it does not cost that much assuming you use budget toilets and sinks. Can negotiate to share the costs with the landlord. Or speak to the landlord and offer to bump up the rent a little to compensate him for the cost if he wanted to do it himself. Can just keep the existing tiles as that can be expensive to rip out and replace - a good cleaning will help too.
    merchantms and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    If you live near a park you could take the kids there. E.g. Victoria Park has playgrounds.
    Take kids to a park? Are you crazy? :-)

Hong Kong is about compromise

Either live very close or on hk island, but expect smaller apartment while every thing is conveniently close, parking is very expensive

Or

Live slightly further out, bigger apartment, clubhouse, etc parking is cheap, still close enough to commute to work is short period of time

Or the other extreme, live in a rural house, very large house, car parking is very cheap. Lots of greenery,but every thing is not so convenient, distance to work is far

So we've decided to take - neither! Both were in Midlevels.

Amazing flat/no facilities is in an area very challenging for walking around with a baby. Car won't do anything for my helper while we're at work.

Average flat/good facilities landlord refused to allow us to make cosmetic improvements to the bathrooms and kitchen at our cost.

So we're sucking it up and probably heading to Pokfulam. Longer commutes for us but more family friendly.

Good choice. I would not live in midlevels either if I wanted to take bubs around (unless it is on Macdonnell Road and Kennedy road areas with access to HK Park. Too crowded, narrow sidewalks, lots of construction, noisy ...

TheBrit likes this.

I think the KEY POINT is " - two working parents and a small baby "

If both parents working.....take the one with facilites as even if you have a freaking car (OC...shaking my head once again...)...your helper won't drive it daily...to go to the park or beach or wherever...

We have facilities and it is great (when we were the 2 of us we hardly used them). She takes our boy (15 months) down every day if it is raining to the indoor play ground where he meets other toddlers, if the weather is nice on the podium where he can slide, push a tricycle etc etc.

We are lucky enough to also live by the beach so once in a while she will bring him to the beach. It is also great for her as it makes her days less dull and she see other parents/helpers.